1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drug given to treat foetuses may influence sexual preference

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19151-debate-over-gender-disorder-drug.html

2. paco

paco Guest

i don't see how it's even possible to test whether this would decrease the chances of being a lesbian. wouldn't they need to know that some of these girls would become lesbians? it seems like it would take thousands upon thousands of test subjects to even make a very valid theory about that because homosexuality is so little understood and CAH and gayness have a correlation but no established causation.

on the plus side, if they're right, at least it sounds like they support the idea that homosexuality is not a decision and that drugs shouldnt be used for preventative measures.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i'd hazard that if you can isolate one variable and demonstrate correlation, that implies causation, even if the mechanism behind the causation may not be explicitly identified.

but yeah, i think the scientific community at large has a fairly good and well balanced view on homosexuality in general, i can only hope that a few not-so-scrupulous outliers don't exploit a possible black market in gay-preventative treatment, if it does end up being possible.

4. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh, I hate the British spelling, "foetus."

Wow. The other article posted on this site about this drug made it sound as if New and her colleagues were using to drug solely to prevent lesbianism. A great demonstration of how reliable journalists are.

This drug scares the hell out of me. I'm not intersex myself but if I were, I think I'd be proud of being unique. I don't consider intersexuality a disease. But putting that aside, I'm afraid of how homophobes might try to use this drug.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I remember my neuroscience book mentioning how dexamethasone was a possible treatment of CAH. I didn't know it could influence sexual preference, though.

6. Emberstone

double edged sword. one, it could help prove that sexual orientation is biological, and two, homophobes who fuckin hate their children would do it to prevent their children being was nature/god intended them to be.

fundementalist christians hate god more than they hate anything else. Thats why they always interfer with the natural order, which includes homosexuality.