1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long until SS marriage is legal?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gdom76, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Gdom76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm new here. But I just came from another forum (not LGBT related whatsoever) with a discussion about this. Most of it was filled with ignorance and trolls. Regardless here is my question.

How long do you think until Same-Sex marriage is legal? and after that how long until we are accepted into society. (in America)

I give it a maximum of 10 years before it's legal here (hopefully sooner). I think it will eventually go the same path as women/race rights. Also it seems to that the current generation of teens are much more tolerant than past generations

So do you guys think that it will ever be legalized or accepted in American society and if so how long from now?

2. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I'd agree with you. Legal, maybe 10-15 years. Accepted.....well that would take a lot longer lol.

3. VampConspiracy

America is so screwy right now, me giving any estimate would be akin to blasting off my foot with a shotgun.

4. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Its sad because some states are shooting it down look at prop 8

5. Ben

Ben

I don't know about America, but I think it should happen in the UK within the decade.

6. Emberstone

honestly, the tea party movement is going to help SS marriage in the long run.

It is fracturing the source of the majority of the anti-gay sentiment, which is the republican party. The tea partiers tend to be extremely unintelligent and billigerent, which is giving a opening for the moderates and centrist, who do not have a voice in the party, to step up in the forming cracks and be heard. There are conservatives who are republicans because of things not involving social conservatisem, which fought against the civil rights, and fights against gay rights. Look at one of the prop 8 lawyers... a prominant conservative who is standing up for lgbt equalty, and marriage equality. ten years ago, he would not have been able to do that.

Conservatives are coming out for gay marriage, because the party is fracturing, allowing them to be able to speak openly about their views on the matter.

America is shifting towards lgbt rights and equalities. As long as tea partiers continue to fragment the conservative base with their noisy, but substance-lacking, and often hatefilled rhetoric, the party will continue to falter enough for those voices, which it had virulently suppressed for nearly a century, to be heard.

so, I think the trend definiatly is shifting in our favor. NoM is not nearly as powerful as they want us to believe. We just have to continue to educate people on the realities. A voice of truth can win out over a shout of ignorance if you just keep at it.

7. mydogstewie

It will never happen. (*edit: in america)

#7 mydogstewie, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  8. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, here in Canada we already have it. :grin:

9. Emberstone

thats what conservatives said about allowing blacks to vote, and the civil rights act...

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup :grin: Plus it will NEVER be taken away because the Supreme Court basically told Stephen Harper no when he tried to bring it to a vote again. They basically said "shut up fool, we're not going through this damn thing again."

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This. It is impossible to tell.

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fact that Harper has many checks on his power like that is one reason why I don't rant about how I hate him every morning while he's in office. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

10-20 years.

Too bad to world will end in 2. D: (joke)

14. Rikudo

I think our gen will be the ones to legalize it. I have some hope for it but alas the old fools who run our gov. won't croak for awhile.

15. Johnnieguy

Which part of America are you talking about? Washington (state), Oregon, California, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, New York, Maine, Rhode Island...All within 5 years.

Utah and Idaho? Never, if it is left for the states to decide (which it shouldn't). The feds should do the same thing they did to force states into enacting the 21 year old drinking laws...With-hold federal funding. Bleed conservative states dry until they can't take it anymore.

16. Emberstone

tell all the red states that "clinging to your guns means your gay."

the people who have a sexual obsession with their guns will keep them, and proudly proclaim their gayness.

the homophobes will get rid of their guns.

...two birds with one stone.

17. Étoile

From the PostSecret thread:

I see myself as more of a realist. I know we'll get our rights eventually.

Keyword: Eventually. It's going to take years, decades for there to be equal rights in all 50 states. It's going to be fought with fierce opposition. You think conservatives, Mormons, and Evangelists are gonna give up that easily? Some states have constitutional bans on gay marriage. That ain't gonna get repealed easily.

It's gonna be hard work for sure, but it's possible.

18. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Although I think something such as drinking should be left up to the states and out of the hands of the government since it is a private recreational activity, I agree that they should do what they did with the drinking age with gay marriage.

I don't understand why the drinking age isn't 18. You're legally an adult at 18, everything that has an age limit, the limit is at 18 (except for clubs serving alcohol.) So why is drinking randomly 21?

But that's an entirely different issue..

19. titaniumCloset

10-15 years unless it is somehow forced by the federal government before that. We need the old people to die off and the young generation to grow older and start becoming the main voting populace.

20. Emberstone

the problem with the issue of state power and federal power is that left to their own devices, the states fuck everything up. Look at arizona. throughout the whole of the bush adminsitration, republicans refused to deal with immigration. then when a democrat is in the whitehouse, arizona enacts a racist law, then tries to paint the federal goverment as the enemy. the problem is, the republicans still refuse to deal with immigration. They are trying to make it a state's right issue so they can decry the federal goverment.

They have been doing the same with gay rights. The problem is, the states have to abibed by the federal constitution. the federal goverment is suposed to be able to override unconstitutional laws, such as the arizona profiling law, prop 8, etc. When a state effectively and willfully discriminates, the federal constitution is suposed to override the unlawful actions of the states.

the entire system is out of whack because we have a conservative leaning court that doesnt give a flying fuck in hell about constitutionality half the time, and states that dont get that they are not above federal law.

we need a strong federal goverment, because left to the states, we would be back into segregation.