1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U of I instructor fired over Catholic comments

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x41627418/U-of-I-instructor-fired-over-Catholic-beliefs

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We certainly don't need educators teaching bigotry.

3. Kardan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Suprisingly, I think I agree with the professor. Judging only from what little I have read here, it does sound like a statement of someone else's opinion. That's not to say that I agree with that Natural Morality Law bullshit. But it certainly does seem to me like it was wrong for him to be fired. Of course, I only know a little bit about the situation.

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I doubt that the instution would have fired him were he really just teaching them about the said Catholic doctrine in a historical context.

5. Kardan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know. I was basing my opinion ONLY on that little excerpt in the first post. But, sometimes, instituions can be overly sensitive and take the leftmost actions to avoid .lawsuits and stuff,

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of the people who commented sound like idiots, but I suppose in some ways...this was a course on Catholicism and part of catholicism says this....but doesn't mean I think the guy isn't a dick anyway...though the student isn't necessarily right either. To me U of I firing him after ONE complaint is kind of ridiculous. If it had been numerous students...then I could understand it, but only one? I think they truly did overreact.

7. Emberstone

the problem is that catholic law is subjective. most all of it does not even come from the bible, which does not spread as wide a net on moralty as the catholic church does. Most of catholic natural law is based on interpritations not of the bible, but of the opinion of the interpriter.

hence why christ said 'he who is without sin, cast the first stone' in issue of a woman accused of adultery, but the church had no qualms about burning 5 million women alive on the basis of suposed acts.

8. Alex19

the prof may have just been saying what the church believes and not what he personally believes. the student may have taken it the wrong way... but at anyrate the church is wrong cause morality isnt fact- its opinion.