1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argentina Passes Gay Marriage Bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by OutToSea, Jul 15, 2010.

1. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/07/15/Argentina_Passes_Gay_Marriage/

"In a debate that lasted well into the early hours of Thursday morning, Argentina's Senate voted 33-27 to make theirs the first country in South America to legalize same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists had predicted a close vote. According to reports, debate in Buenos Aires lasted until four in the morning.

The subject of marriage has been a hot button issue in Argentina for the past several months. In December, Jose Maria Di Bello and Alex Freyre (pictured) became the country's first legally married same-sex couple because of a legal loophole.

Freedom to Marry's Evan Wolfson issued the following statement early Tuesday morning: "Today's historic vote shows how far Catholic Argentina has come, from dictatorship to true democratic values, and how far the freedom to marry movement has come as twelve countries on four continents now embrace marriage equality. Argentina's vote for the freedom to marry marks an important advance for fairness and family values as more couples around the world will now share in marriage, with families helped and no one hurt. Today's vote adds momentum to the international movement to secure the freedom to marry for all loving and committed couples.

"Key to Argentina's human rights achievement was strong leadership from legislators and the president. It is time we see more of our own elected officials standing up for the Constitution and all families here in the United States. America should lead, not lag, when it comes to treating everyone equally under the law."

:slight_smile:

2. ANightDude

I knew they would. :grin: This is great. But can it be overturned at all? I'm assuming (and hoping) it can't. Congrads to Argentina! Hopefully this can help Brazil's case. They've been struggling with it passing for a while.

3. Yay!!! This is so awesome, especially for the people of Argentina

4. Joe622

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just read this on CNN.. awesome news!

5. Kardan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awsome!

6. Nodnarb

Awesome news! I don't usually think of extremely Catholic South American countries being very progressive on things like gay rights, but hey, I'm not going to complain:slight_smile:

7. Just Adam

aww :slight_smile: this is good:slight_smile:

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it would be overturned...polls show 70% of Argentina support same-sex marriage. Which is a LOT more than what Prop 8 had (where it showed like 55% supported it and then it got passed). Just bringing up Prop 8 in case you were thinking about a referendum when asking if it could be overturned.

9. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Now they only need to pass nationwide anti-discriminatory laws in order to have all green checks on the Wikipedia article (LGBT rights by country or territory).

10. ferkocba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've just joined this awesome site and I knew I'd find a thread on same-sex marriage in my country. For those who asked, laws that "guarantee advances in human rights" cannot be overturned whatsoever here. So good news indeed!

Besides, in the past months, Senate passed another law, this time in support of the rights of transgender/transexual ppl. All those who feel they want to be recognized based on their self-perceived gender, they just do some paperwork (very easy, really) and get their new ID card in a couple of weeks. Even their birth certificate is modified in national records.

In the future, this law also contemplates making gender-reassignment surgery free of charge in public and private hospitals: Argentina Passes Comprehensive Transgender Rights Law | Advocate.com

I hope the US and other countries soon adopt these same (or similar) laws. People tend to react with anger to the unknown, but it all goes away when they know that the end of the world is not near.

Best to all!

11. LSunday

Congratulations for all those in Argentina!

What gets me is the fact that so many Americans look down on other countries (with astounding crossover with homophobes), and think we're 'so progressive,' and yet we lag behind on so many social issues.

I'm just waiting for the day when Vietnam, a country many U.S. citizens (stupidly) don't think has changed since the Vietnam War, legalizes marriage before we do.

12. GreenRaven

that's awesome about the trans law! i hope they do make the surgeries free of charge there, and that the US follows suit with that. i don't think i'm gonna have $7600 in even 5 years *sigh*