1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOMA Poll

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mydogstewie, Jul 19, 2010.

?

When will DOMA be repealed

1. 2011

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. 2012

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. 2013

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 2014

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2015+

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  6. Never

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. mydogstewie

When do you think DOMA will be repealed? Or not

2. 2012. It's going to cause the apocalypse. :rolle:

3. Emberstone

I said 2011 because I am hopeful that now that the econamy is on the mend, and jobs are starting to be created with more vigor, even if only slowly, coupled with the fact that bushes wars are being toned down, that there will be time to focus on doma.

given that the court case on parts of doma was sucessful, and appears it will be hard to overrule them in appeals court, that it could give the momentum necessary to tackle it. I am hopeful that at least in part, it can be repealed, like the court case has sought to do, and so far been sucessful.

Dismantling it is a good way to go, and i feel that would be a quicker route that all out trying to repeal the entire thing all at once.

a more reasonable choice would have been 2012, but I think momentum could be lost by then.

4. Nodnarb

I voted 2015+.

I could see part of it being overturned by the SC with the current case in Massachusetts, but that won't be until 2012, and it's really only a 50/50 shot.

I think the only way it is overturned before 2015 is by court challenge. It could happen, but with a conservative-leaning court I think an all-out repeal is unlikely to come from SCOTUS in the near-term. It would really help if we could get a lot more states on board with gay marriage by then, which is quite possible.

However, I think it will be next to impossible to get it through congress any time soon. With the current huge Democratic majorities, our best chance in the near future would be now. Unfortunately, there is no way it will even come up for debate before the Dems lose those majorities this fall (not that they would pass a repeal anyways...). Unless the economy does an amazing, complete recovery before Obama is out of office, we're not going to see Dems with majorities like this again for a long time (well, if our generation continues to lean strongly Democratic, then maybe Democratic super-majorities aren't out of the question). For a repeal of DOMA to get through the Senate we'll need a decent Democratic majority (either that or a massive shift in the Republican party's stance on same-sex marriage), a clear majority of Americans supporting the repeal (and even that may not be enough; see 70%+ approval of repeal of DADT and the "compromise" we ended up with), and a lot of states with marriage equality. Maybe I'm being pessimistic here, but that sounds like something that's more like a decade away than a couple years away.

5. RedState

If it is, it will be a while. Certainly not in 2012. Perhaps in 2020.

If a bill would be filed, I'm not sure that it would even muster enough votes in either (House or Senate) Judiciary committee, and who knows what the House Rules committee would do, to even make it for a Floor vote.

Should there be a Presidential veto, there are certainly not the votes to override.

I think eventually it will, but it will be a long, long time.

6. mydogstewie

I said never. If there was a nationwide vote on gay marriage and only people 40 and under were able to vote, (even people under 18) the law would pass indefinitely. If it did pass, all the opponents would create a bill to repeal it.

It's a war we can't win.

7. Shevanel

Negativity is the only thing that causes failure.

8. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I say 2012.

So many stupid people in the country will be worried about the apocalypse. But the government will just laugh at them and say, "Finally, now we can do stuff without everyone taking it out of context and hating it just because it's from the government."

9. Rikudo

It'll probably happen when all the old geezers running the government pass away or retire. I'd probably say by the time most of us are 30-40 yrs old (Seeing as how most of EC is between 18-25). It'll eventually happen but just not soon.

10. Emberstone

i guess once someone throws a bucket of water on Sarah Palin, we will be in the clear.

11. Danielle

Danielle Guest

If this congress doesn't pass a repeal of DOMA I don't see it happening for a long time.

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Because the US's political/moral stances change constantly from year to year, I have no clue when this will happen and thus didn't vote.

This as well.

One issue that people tend to have is realizing that people think differently in areas that they are not familiar with. For example, it is hard for me to realize that people could be so against gay marriage seeing as I live in an incredibly liberal state.

#12 Swamp56, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  13. Alex19

im just hoping that new york get gay marriage by 2015... but i said 2015+ just because everything else is too soon i think

14. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's really hard to say, but I'm seriously hoping stuff will get done well before 2015.

15. Just Adam

i put 2015+

i think it will but will be in 20 years when weve a new generation of politicians and people in politics making decisions.