1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: California Catholics strongly support homosexual unions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=7008

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go figure. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Charme

Charme Guest

Blasphemy!

4. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not too surprising. The church itself has stated that homosexuality is innate and natural, and homosexual unions are not really opposed. However, it does surprise me that homosexual marriage is supported by many more Catholics than I would have thought, especially since the church is anti that.

5. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would have never guessed..that's good to hear though! :slight_smile:

6. Charme

Charme Guest

Please point out a reliable source that supports that statement. I have NEVER even come across an idea remotely close to that.

7. kettleoffish

in my experience, the Catholic Church (ie the people in charge of it) are anti homosexuality, but Catholics (followers of the Catholic faith) are more inclined to follow the teachings of Christ, love thy neighbour and all that stuff.

8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

My experience with Catholics is that most Catholics will identify as Catholics without actually being religious, like a cultural thing. Protestants/evangelicals don't really identify as protestants/evangelicals unless they are very religious. Therefore, I don't think the survey is surprising.

9. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

Wait, so if I'm reading those percentages right... If you're a white Catholic, you're more likely to support a gay civil union, but if you're latino, you're more likely to support a real gay marriage?

I wonder if that says something... If so, I don't really know what it could be. :confused:

10. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    EDIT: "The church itself has stated that being homosexual is innate. Homosexual unions are not really opposed by many priests and followers. "

You can ask any sane priest(Though priests tend to differ in views, they follow the same core rules). They're definitely anti-marriage/usually anti-union, but not the state of being homosexual itself(Although homosexual acts are still looked down on). I've had years of schooling in the Catholic Church and have definitely dealt with the subject.

Catholic followers themselves are pretty tolerant of homosexuality, moreso than you think.

Here's some stuff from a more conservative Catholic source:
    http://www.catholic.com/library/Homosexuality.asp

#10 Owl47, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010