1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right Goes Nuts as Obama Skips Scouts Jamboree, Heads to ’The View’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=108588

2. Shevanel

I wouldn't fuck with Chuck Norris' word.

Just sayin. xD

3. NickT

Chuck Norris can stick his fandom up his ass. I dislike his cult following.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if I'm buying it. By disrespecting the Boy Scouts, Obama risks angering a large portion of the electorate. That's not only people who have sons (or nephews) in the scouts, but a lot of military, proto-military and patriotic groups who consider the Boy Scouts "good training". And to what end? To keep the support of the homosexuals? How many gay people even know this is happening? And he's not even SAYING that's why he's doing it - so why bother angering them without saying that's why he's doing it?

Lex

5. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah... pretty much this.

6. ANightDude

What a stupid argument. Just because he skips making a speech to them, suddenly he's anti boy scout and angers Republicans? Jeez, shut up. I'm sure if he did make the speech, Democrats and Liberals would have been all over him for that too. It's a lose lose situation.

As for Chuck Norris, it's a well known fact he's very, VERY Conservative and Republican, he also thinks homosexuality shouldn't be allowed and banned in public schools, much less society. And everyone knows he hates Obama, so of course he's going to complain.

7. Eric

Forget Barbara Walters, just go speak at the BSA thing. In states with large LGBT communities, Democrats already have pretty strong support. I agree with Lex.

And I wouldn't fuck with Chuck Norris either.

8. RedState

In full disclosure, I am not an Obama fan. i didn't vote for him, nor will I when he comes up for re-election.

That being said, I do think it was a bad political move for him not to to address this group. I don't think it has anything to do with gays...it's simply bad political advice.

Regardless if you like them or not, or agree with their policies or not, the Boy Scouts are a big part of Americana. By choosing to go on "The View" rather than address this group (which this was the biggest event in BS history) simply adds to the perception that Obama is disconnected with middle America, and would rather hob-knob with the NY, Georgetown and Hollywood elite.

It may not be correct (in my view it is, but that's simply my opinion), but in politics, perception is reality.

9. Shevanel

Agreed.

10. Rikudo

Funny thing is allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllot of presidents have often skipped the Boy Scouts. I was watching the Daily Show last night and it pointed out that even Reagan never went to one of the boy scouts things. Reguardless if Obama went or not the Right still woulda shit there pants over something. He can never do anything right in there eyes.

11. RedState

Eh...I see your point, but it was the 100 anniversary...that's a pretty big deal. And I doubt Reagan skipped addressing the group to go chat it up with Barbara Walters and company. Nor did Reagan have the perception of being disconnected with the working class, hence the emergence of the "Reagan Democrats" in 1980 and 1984.

And the right wouldn't keep giving him hell if he wouldn't keep screwing up:icon_wink

12. theJosephDean

I was actually thinking exactly this.

13. Rikudo

lol thanks for the funny joke. XD

14. RedState

Haha...glad to help.

15. Emberstone

In my opinion, assuaging the countries apprehension is more important.

In my experince, and this is only with one troop, boyscoutting seems more of a social clique, than anything else. not saying it does not do good, but my experiences were terrible. I have found alot of people from other troops saying the same thing.

In the end, the president has to put country first, ahead of special interest groups... the boyscouts of america are a special interest group in my opinion. It is a group that actively discriminations on the basis of ethnicity, religious belief, and sexual orientation, or any of the above in the parents of troop members.

I would not be shocked it bush missed a few jamoberees in his time as president. But of course, a republican can walk into a orphanage, tie down all the children, and set it on fire, and right wing pundits would not say a thing. but if a democrat so much as sneezes, the right wingers are on their asses.

16. Shevanel

^ I had great experiences when I was in Boyscouts, I wish I had continued to Eagle Scout to be honest. Oh well, some things you miss out and regret you did.

17. Emberstone

I think a great deal of that has to do with the leadership of a troop. my brother was so close to get eagle scout, and the leadership shifted, and he did a very large scale project, fulfilled all the requirements, and it got rejected while the new leadership pushed through all of their kids, and thier kids friends, who did projects that they never completed, and were what you might expect a cub scout to do for one of those buttons that denote you have worked in a specific feild *oddly enough, I worked my bum off, and earned each and every one of them as a cub scout*.

I went to a different troop, and people were abusive to the younger ranks, and the leaders didnt care. oddly enough, that was the mormon troop in my area. I, and a whole bunch of my friends *who were mormon themselves* left, and just gave up.

I really dont like heirachial systems. It breeds stupidity and corruption.

It would require constitutional ammendments, no doubt, but I think it would be great if we could remove the speakers, and majority/minority leaders from congress. everyone would take turn overseeing a bill, and would be on a even footing. want to stay in cogress... DO SOME FRIGGAN WORK!

18. RedState

Completely agree ab special interests...and it would be wonderful if that could happen. However, special interests control Washington. They always have and they always will. That doesn't mean it is right, but that is just how it is.

Many people on the right were critical of Bush (myself included) and the Republican led Congress...especially during the last few years. I mean, I'm no fan of Bush, but this guy was accused by some on the far left from orchestrating 9/11 to blowing up the levees in New Orleans....so I think there is enough nonsense babble on both sides to go around.

19. jazzrawr

People are freaking crazy. I mean, really. So what if Obama skipped some big 100th anniversary thing for the Scouts? They can suck it up. He went to the View instead and hurt their feelings? SUCK IT UP. The Scout people sound like they're crying because their feelings got hurt.

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This. Times 10^56.