1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anti-Gay donation cost Target on stock market?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_15671164?id=22407-8028412-uWP7tDx

2. This whole boycott deal is bullshit. Target isn't anti-gay at all. I'm sure that they would want their money back if they could get it. :rolle:

3. NickT

We can't just boycott a business that gives to politicians that happen to support inequality if they also support the kind of business deals Target likes. =/ As I keep saying, guilt by association isn't good.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This.

It's ridiculous.

5. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Er... Yes, we can. I, for one, do not donate to the Salvation Army any more because while they do a lot of good, they have anti-gay policies that are disgusting. Instead, I found a different local charity to donate money that shares all of my moral views. This same standard should be enforced for the companies that you are giving money towards. Target wants to support a pro-business legislator? Find one that isn't anti-gay. Otherwise, they won't be getting any money from me. And it is fully within my rights to try to enact change my
    tightening my wallet.

All that being said, Target doesn't really exist in Canada. So count this as applicable to my views on Best Buy.

6. Beachboi92

^
    If a company decided to support someone for their business policies but also goes "well they are anti-gay but who cares" than i am not going to support them because they do have to take all of that into account. I think donating money to people campaigns like that is BS anyways along with the majority of election processes. Every candidate should get an equal representation to public and it should be a matter of wether their views are supported not how many advertisements they can put out.

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The big difference is that Target is known for being open and tolerant of gays.

8. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Known for it? So supporting an anti-gay politician counts as being open and tolerant of gays? Tolerance is a ridiculous notion as well. I don't want to be tolerated; I want to be accepted.

9. RedState

In one word: No.

Drops in market prices rarely are the factor one one thing, much less a social movement.

10. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In other words, they had this reputation of being gay friendly long before this donation ever happened.

11. Just Adam

they might of changed their views :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: perhaps bigots bought shares :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2010 at 09:53 AM ----------

this dont really effect me as a whole apart from some of the cool box set stuff i can get hold of XD but i dont think target is homophobic i think its just a case of giving money to a politician (which i dont agree with from big business anyway...as it can lose you business) then finding out he has homophobic agenda and views...but by then you cant take back the funding you gave :frowning2:

for charities and thier views only ones i give money to are cancer research, aids research if i ever see one >.> where are they when im in town or anywhere? ...anyway haha i give to animals if i can IFAW , RSPCA etc .. st micheals hospice they helped give my grandparents some respite from caring from my mother for a week when she was alive they were very friendly and caring., but the main one i give to and my family does is the local air ambulance...they do great work and is all or 90% as far as i know funded through charity.