1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judge to announce Prop 8 stay ruling

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/08/12/Judge-to-announce-Prop-8-stay-ruling/UPI-35721281586258/

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please Walker....please revoke your stay *prays*

3. MagicalMatt

What's that about steps forward and back?

4. Charme

Charme Guest

The only problem I have with not issuing a stay is that if the Appellate Court reverses Walker, then the weddings that do take place in between trials will be voided because Prop 8 would have been constitutional all along.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting legal question.

Since the ruling, a lot of people, including some very conservative but brilliant legal minds have said that the line of reasoning is really solid and will be difficult to overturn on appeal, because of the way in which it was framed.

The issue of the stay itself is also intersting; I know that with injunctions, which I think are similar, they are granted only if some irreparable harm would come (a stay against cutting down a historic tree, or demolishing a historic building, for example).

Hard to argue that anything except the blood pressure of the loser conservative crazies trying to deny our rights would be damaged by lifting the stay.

6. Emberstone

given the very weak nature of the prop 8 defenders defense during the initial trial, I think it will be hard for them to overturn it. They crashed and burned under their own arrogance, and lack of evidentiary support.

Same for the fundie child-molesters *taking away from children the right for their parents to marry, and for them to legally be able to call themselves a family is a form of child molestation in my opinion. you taking away their innocence and safety by defaming their families*, who want to impeach the judge. you cannot impeach the judge unless you can prove that he did not follow protocal... and then, only on a long series of cases, not just one.

he followed judicial procedure to a T.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Twitter is going insane with unsourced reports that the motion to stay has been lifted. The news stations don't seem to be covering it because of it being uncomfirmed, but apparently somebody from LambdaLegal is inside the court and knows that the motion to stay has been rejected.

Still not completely sure what's true though. The Prop 8 opponents outside are celebrating, and same-sex couples at city halls are reporting that their marriage license applications are on the verge of being processed so tis plausible.

8. Eponine

I just heard from the news that the stay will be lifted on August 18th to give opponents time to appeal or something along those lines.

9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Eponine

Heh, having the lifting of the stay delayed until right before my birthday makes it kind of a birthday gift. xD