1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Target Stores Negotiate with Gay-Lesbian Group over Disputed Political Spending

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sc-dc-0812-target-gays-20100811,0,3008856.story

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah....this was only delayed so long. They should have apologized right off the bat >_>

3. ArcaneVerse

Honestly I don't care about who they donate money to, as long as GLBT people are treated as equals within the company and its stores it doesn't matter who they are giving money to. It would be nice if they and other company's supported a gay friendly candidate but really as a business gay rights are not going to be high on their list and it shouldn't have to be.

4. Honestly, I think this Target controversy is a load of shit. They aren't anti-gay at all. The people who boycott Target really need to find something else to do with their lives.

5. NickT

This

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I think they should have apologized ages ago. I couldn't care less. I'm still going to buy stuff from them. Plus if you think about it, I HIGHLY doubt Target gave money to the person because he opposes gays or gay marriage. Part of the man's campaign probably includes help for big businesses. Simple as that.

7. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree.

8. Just Adam

i think walmart started the bitching :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Alex19

i agree. i work for them and they're very gay friendly. but, i really dont like they're giving $150,000 to a bigot. but, greed comes before human rights in this world apparently

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

2nd'd

11. Emberstone

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it was actually me not Alex who mentioned the whole part of the man's campaign lol but I've been noticing Empty Closets have been having problems with quoting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Beachboi92

the idea is if they are going to put boosts in how much money they make over the equal rights of people when they already have people at the head of those businesses that make more money than anyone will ever use. If a company has that sort of moral standing to place money over morals then they deserve to lose money. If people don't respond to that sort of action by large companies then we are basically saying it is ok for them to place money over the moral right. The idea that in business money>anything is what has allowed companies to develop the sort of corruption and immorality we see today. If we do nothing and sit back and let those sort of things happens we are essentially supporting those immoral actions and views via inactivity, and really activity by continuing to support them financially.

Im not gonna be the one person saying "oh i don't have to boycott them other people handle it" because if everyone takes that opinion then we get no where.

And to the comment that people boycotting target need to find something better to do.... that is something valuable and good they can do. They are using the power of the common person in order to stand for a better more moral world, and if they didn't do it, let's just say you can refer back to my earlier point on why you can't pull the "let someone else handle it" line.

The LGBT community should throw their weight around like this more. To stand together as a community and make it clear that inequality for whatever reason is unacceptable and that we will do everything in our power to make sure we are treated as equal citizens.

/end rant (not distinctly directed at you but i felt ur post was most appropriate to quote)