1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Umpire is Harassed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Prccgeek, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Prccgeek

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where would we ever get the idea that this guy had a problem with gay people?

Lex

3. :tantrum:

If I ever see that asshole, I'm kicking him in the teeth.

4. Beachboi92

i didn't particularly like the author of this piece either, he needs to stick to the facts his own opinions are not what we want to read, and plenty of them make me want to tell him to stfu. As for the Coach you can tell he is someone who is just lying through his teeth to try and get out of a bad situation, what an asshole.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah...umm most of the article was quite good. I'm not into sports but I really felt for this guy. I know what struggle is like, I'm just glad I got out at 16...I can't imagine living into my 30s with it (though with my parents I'm already 22 and here I am still closeted) but ANYWAY.

The part I really did not like was this:

While I cannot in any way shape or form know what it was like as a black man or woman years ago...I still think as a writer he should keep his own opinions to himself and write about the topic at hand. But I suppose coming from FOX, what else can I expect >_>

As for Bowers...to me it doesn't matter if he feels sorry, I'm glad he does, but what he did is ridiculous and I'm glad he was forced to resign. If he had called him the F word then yes the fine and suspension would have been fine, but what he did, the actions he made, etc...that to me was just too much. So I'm glad what happened to Bowers, he deserved it.

6. Alex19

i like how the guy said hes joked around with gay ppl from his moms work and has a lesbian cousin but yet he still said all those things to the umpire. i dont buy it. if thats the case than he should have known better. plus he should have some fuckin self control. hes a grown man- come on.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>i didn't particularly like the author of this piece either, he needs to stick to the facts his own opinions are not what we want to read

Actually, it's an "op ed" piece. His job isn't to write factually about the matter at hand, but to offer his viewpoints about various subjects. And I think he did a good job. His comments about race at the start of the article sounded a lot like they were meant to forestall comments and letters he (perhaps) has gotten in the past when discussing sexuality. And stating that the team might want to "save a spot for a former employee" in the diversity training made it clear how the author felt. That the guy was repentant only so far as it got him in trouble. He wants those 10 minutes back not because he was hurtful then but because he's unemployed now. I especially liked the former manager's comments that the umpire "hurt" him and his team. Yep, you betcha, sir.

Lex

8. Emberstone

"We want a pitcher... not a.... wait... that came out wrong..."