1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is public opinion on gay marriage ahead of the Supreme Court's?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-klarman-gay-marriage-20100815,0,7054903.story

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, I can't help but disagree with this article.

It seems like bad journalism to ignore one of the most important marriage cases in the Supreme Court. Loving v Virginia is a landmark case from the Supreme Court, and it goes against this article suggesting that sweeping cultural shifts must occur before law is changed. That is true to some extent, but the 9-0 ruling against inter-racial marriage bans wasn't exactly done at a time when approval was high. Here's one graph I found from Gallup when researching:
    [​IMG]

Obviously inter-racial marriage was legal in more states during Loving v Virginia than same-sex marriage during Perry v Schwarzenegger, but it had a dramatically lower approval rate (20%) than same-sex marriage does, so I don't think it's entirely accurate to look solely on cultural attitudes.

3. Emberstone

shame on seventeen percent of americans polled in 2007 on inter-racial marriage...