1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appeals court puts Proposition 8 ruling on hold, sets December hearing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15796532?nclick_check=1

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My guess is that they don't want to end up having marriages become invalidated if there is a successful appeal of the repeal.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True Swamp, but it's still annoying...

4. Axon

I'm still wondering, what happened to protecting the "rights of the minority" from the "tyranny of the majority?"

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought you knew....that went out of style over a hundred years ago :slight_smile:

6. Emberstone

this is not going to help the prop 8 people much. walker's ruling was extremely detailed, followed judicial procedure and presidence to the hilt and beyond, and showed the inability of pro prop 8 defendents to even make a single legally valid arguement. it is going to be extremely hard for any judge to overturn the ruling on its merits, and it is unlikely that the defenders of prop 8 will be able to provide legitimate evidence to support their claims... seeing as their own witnesses ended up bolstering the equality side.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The good news is that by making it December 6th has significantly expedited the process. The case probably wouldn't be happening till December of NEXT year, but it seems the 9th Court has realized that this is a pressing matter and decided to hold it in only 4 more months. This is good news...and frankly if marriages had been allowed to happen between now and then, they could be made null and void should a successful appeal happen (which I'd doubt). So basically this may seem like bad news, but in truth it's not as bad as you think.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wel, it seems that even the right to appeal is being put into question. Which sounds like they're following Walker's line of reasoning that the Prop8 people aren't even affected by this and should have no standing in court.

Annoying that it's put on hold, but I can follow them in their desire to try and minimise the odds of chaos happening before there's a definite ruling.

From a Belgian standpoint, I'm pleased with the date. Dec. 6th is a big deal here: the feast of Saint Nicholas, when the good kids get rewarded and the bad kids get punished. So I hope that's a good sign :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: