1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mary Cheney gave $500 to anti-gay-marriage Senate hopeful

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0818/mary-cheney-500-antigay/

2. NickT

Like the Target thing, it might have been for other reasons that Mary Cheney supported.

3. Just Adam

she needed to read the small print.

why you would give money to someone who is against who you are is bizarre to me.

4. Charme

Charme Guest

It's highly unlikely that New Hampshire would get rid of marriage equality anyway. They already tried to vote on it in the Senate and it failed.

5. Shevanel

This, plus for some people, there can be more important matters when it comes to politics. Same Sex Marriage is definitely not a deciding factor when it comes to me liking a politician. It certainly helps if they support it, plus other LGBT rights, but it is most certainly not everything.

People can do what they want in the end anyway. Shame on people for having an opinion.

6. Alex19

shes stupid. even if she was giving them money for some other reason, YOU DONT HELP THE ENEMY. in any way. shes a traitor, really. and she better fix the problem and do it quick cuz just by reading that, ive lost all potential respect for her that i could have had

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

The government in every country should first worry about economic matters then social matters. I know I would donate to a person who didn't support same sex marriage if I knew they would help the economy.

8. Charme

Charme Guest

I sure as hell won't. I'd find someone who supports my cause and has plans for the economy. Besides, Republicans are stupid when it comes to the economy: "We want to reduce our national debt but we wanna keep the Bush taxcuts." >_>

9. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Fisrt off, I will repeat what I said before, economic policy is more important than social policy. I would rather have an anti-gay politican that can run the economy than a pro-gay politican that can't handle the economy. Same Sex Marriage certainly should come into law but I believe that a strong economy comes first

Secondly, the donation is only $500 and it is her money to do with what she pleases, if you care that strongly donate the Democratic Opponent.

Third, both Republicans and Democrats don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the economy as both parties supported bills that let wall street run wild and sent the US economy into recession and dragged a whole load of other countries with them.

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

You seem to forget that not all democrats are gay friendly.

11. Tim

Tim

Seriously.

Now people are just grasping at straws.

Things like this make me wonder if there's a reason Prop 8 managed to get passed in the first place. The LGBT community seems to report and in some way, attack, anyone who donates anything to Anti-Gay Marriage people. I mean, seriously. -.-

I have friends who are Anti-Gay Marriage. I am not going to stop being friends with them because of it. On top of that, if I actually have money in the future, and they ask for it for whatever reason, I'd help a friend.

There's many reasons for donations, people need to stop grasping at straws.

12. Charme

Charme Guest

Dude, I ain't retarded. lol. That's why I said find one. So far, there hasn't been one worth the money.

13. Danielle

Danielle Guest

This!

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Indeed

15. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What kind of a "friend" are they if they think you deserve to be denied freedoms that they possess? No way could I ever be friends with someone who was anti-gay marriage.

16. Danielle

Danielle Guest

That makes you just as close minded as them.

17. biggayguy

She has proven over time that she is a republican first and a lesbian second. I couldn't stand taking crumbs from the republican table.

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Eh, this happened 3 years ago, was there really a reason to bump it? :eusa_eh:

But of course you can never trust a Republican, gay or lesbian or otherwise. There's no reason for a socially liberal state like New Hampshire to have an anti-equality senator, so hopefully Kelly Ayotte gets the boot in the 2016 elections. Even when Republicans temporarily took back control of New Hampshire's legislature in 2010, any attempts to repeal marriage equality in the state went nowhere, because even the Republicans there tend to be libertarian-leaning and support marriage equality.

19. Sabinian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    30% of self described LGBT individuals voted Republican in 2010 and 22% did so in 2012. I'm citing these numbers from memory, so if I'm incorrect someone can feel free to correct me.

Either way, the point is that this is not particularly newsworthy. LGBT Republicans exist, and some of us contribute to Republican campaigns. This should not be surprising.

20. LILuke

Honestly the thing that really surprises me about this story is the amount. Just $500? Aren't the Cheney's fairly wealthy?