1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child of Married Lesbians Denied Enrollment into School

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38787661

2. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    A shame, but a blessing at the same time because that's obviously not the right kind of school for anyone to send their children to.

3. Emberstone

stop trying to send your kids to a catholic school.

that is like a jewish family trying to send their kid to the aryan nation/nazi school (if there is such a thing)

4. Shevanel

Lol. Except not.

5. SaturdaySaviour

I think there was a case just like this some time ago...

I'm just going to say that this says a lot about the school.

6. Emberstone

why would anyone in their right mind send a child to a school that is just going to devalue and abuse their family for not fitting a narrow minded, bigotted, intolerent view of the world the organization backing the school has fought to devalue and destroy?

7. Shevanel

Did you attend Catholic School?

8. ANightDude

*cough*stereotype*cough*

9. Emberstone

too bad the actions of catholic organizations fit perfectly with the above. stereotype would not be based in reality. the reality is that catholic charities, churches, and schools are openly discriminating, devaluing, and abusing people all the time.

10. Shevanel

See, except I went to Catholic High School and prior to that I had Catholic "education" (aka, learning about the Bible and stuff like that since Elementary School via our Church) so I'd like to say that I experienced Catholic Education first hand. (Also note, I went to Public School prior to High School)

Of all the time I spent there, I was not taught hatred. I wasn't taught to discriminate. I wasn't taught to devalue. and I definitely wasn't taught to abuse.

It was quite the opposite. I could sit here all day and list all the charities and help we participated and ran (Including sending a bunch of seniors down to areas affected by Hurricane Katrina not too long after it happened to help rebuild, in addition to a school-wide collection of food and other necessary items, and obviously this wasn't all we did though), but I'm not going to, because its quite irrelevant.

I wasn't taught to discriminate for sure. Catholic School actually helped me become the person I am today. In Middle School I was quite horrible and homophobic, but Catholic High School changed me indefinitely. Without it actually, I think my realization of my sexuality would have been horrible (which was after I graduated that Summer). I wouldn't have been able to accept myself it weren't for that school teaching me that it was completely fine if I was different. It would've been rather disastrous had I stayed in Public School, thats for sure.

We weren't taught fear, or bias.

Also, there was at least one student whose parents were lesbians. Everyone knew it, and the school never made a fuss.

No, my school wasn't "liberal". BELIEVE IT OR NOT, YOU DONT HAVE TO BE LIBERAL TO BELIEVE IN EQUALITY.

So all that bullshit comparing Catholic Schools to Nazi-like institutions, so completely false and extremely offensive.

It's seriously horrible the lies people love to spread to mask their own self-hate.

I don't care what the Pope or the hierarchy does. It's unrelated to the quality of a Catholic School. Completely.

11. Emberstone

but your forgetting what this article is about, and it is not the first time a catholic school in the recent months have devalued, abused, and discriminated against a family for not living up to their narrowed, intolerent views of the world.

your acting like it isnt even happening, and yet this article is about the fact that it is happening.

12. Shevanel

And you're acting like it happens everywhere. I've seen... 2 cases of this so far. The first one was somewhere in the South if I'm not mistaken, and this one looks a few hours away from Montreal. Now I don't know much about the demographics and tolerance of Canada, but I'd assume this specific place is pretty "middle of nowhere".

Either way, I wasn't forgetting what the article was about. I was defending something I hold close to myself, as do many other people because it is being unfairly lied about. MOST Catholic schools won't give a shit. These few schools that are making the news because of stuff like this are just that. Few schools. In the middle of nowhere.

If you're complaining about them being LGBT and finding a safe place for their children to learn, you should complain about the fact they're living in the middle of nowhere and not a bigger more accepting city.

13. Keereamm

I agree, the only REAL place I have seen true discrimination is when I used to live up in northern Idaho (for those that do not know it is full of white supremacists) And that was to be expected. Hell, I still go to my church and meet up with the priest because we enjoy talking, and yes, he knows I am both gay, and non-religious.

14. Emberstone

I love how people are making this only about cases of reported discrimination in schools. this is hardly just about schools. It is about a broad, and long standing history of discrimination and abuse that is the very back bone of what we are seing in this school, and others before it.

I still question why someone, knowing that the catholic church condems and degrades them based not of who they are, but how the church chooses to see them, still chooses to put their kids in the care of people who still vocally, financially, politically, and socially push that hateful rhetoric bent on devaluing them.

This is a broader issue.

15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is about schools though.

To say that it's a broader issue simply because these schools have a 'link' with Catholicism is a bit of a sweeping statement, and is also a completely different issue altogether. It would be the equivalent of me refusing to attend my local public school simply because I dislike the current government in the House of Commons. Sure, there's a link between public education and government, but it's illogical for me to use it as a reason for not attending.

However, that's not to say that I agree with the decision that has been made here. I have strong political views when it comes to education and believe that schools should be equal and open to everybody. Unfortunately, grammar schools, private schools, and faith schools (to name a few institutes in UK) make that very difficult to happen. What we are seeing here is one of the disadvantages to these types of schools as the selection process can disadvantage certain people within society (all for completely different reasons). I don't believe for one minute that it's acceptable to deny somebody a place at a school because their parents (or themselves) are gay, but inequalities will always exist when schools are required to have a selection process which is designed in a way to secure funding.

The broader issue here is really whether schools should be run by institutions, or whether the government should have control over them. Despite what I said above, I think people should have the choice on what type of schools their children go to. The connection between these schools and the Catholic Church is relatively minor for me, but is being amplified by your own moral disapproval of the faith and its hierarchy. I don't think anybody will disagree with you that there is discrimination within the faith, but that doesn't mean that every single element of that faith has been poisoned and corrupted by its hierarchy. For example, Joey has said how his education at a Catholic school has helped him significantly in life, and that is something that must be recognised.

I think to simply blame the Catholic church for any wrong-doing in faith schools is just taking cheap shots at them. This type of scenario is just the disadvantages of having a selection process in schools, but it's not as wide spread as it could be if the hierarchy did want to go on a crusade against same-sex parents and their children. How you interpret the church and its "rhetoric bent" is your personal choice, but I would also like to remind you that not everybody sees the issue in the same way as you, and that labelling their school as a "nazi school" just because you disagree with the Catholic church is itself discrimination, and it also makes your moral highground take a bit of a tumble.

The last point I also want to make is that there is no right answer to this issue. Some will see it as being a direct attack on same-sex parents by the catholic church, others will see it as a school having a right to choose who attends, and I will see it as being one of the downfalls of pupil selection within education. None of us are necessarily right because they are all our own interpretations. As a result, nobody will ever win this type of discussion because it simply comes down to personal preference, and that is something that needs respecting on both sides of this issue.

16. olides84

Emberstone, you don't really seem to have a clue about the VAST majority of Catholic schools in the western world. Just in the last thread about the Pope, which you also derailed to start a rant against Catholic schools, I noted how they are so integral to education here in Belgium, that the government pays for kids to go to Catholic school, and this country still became the second in the world to allow same sex marriage. Here, where it's likely most of the political leaders went to Catholic schools and later the Catholic University of Leuven, the biggest and post prestigious university in the country. I agree with everything that Joey and Martin have written.

And finally, the coup de grĂ¢ce, this school is NOT EVEN CATHOLIC. Did you even read the article before once again starting your anti-Catholic school rant? Even the first sentence?
    But of course, even this quote is not correct, as the linked article said that the school's church was dropped and is now Anglican and not Episcopalian, and that Episcopalian schools would never discriminate like this. So let's not get into an Episcopalian school tizzy either. Maybe a discussion of how the Anglican church worldwide is totally being fractured because of its dealings with homosexuality. Now that is a topic that has some meat. This Catholic education=bad does not.

17. Alex19

why would they wanna send their daughter there anyway? to get brainwashed into thinking she has to change her parents love interests?please this is a blessing in disguise