1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The GOP Drops the Fight Against Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.frumforum.com/the-gop-drops-the-fight-against-gay-rights

2. Shevanel

Well duh.

3. I wonder where we'll be in 20 more years... :dry:

I guess that this nation really is "doomed", if what Fred Phelps is saying is right. Not that that's even remotely possible. xD

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks like the GOP decided (correctly) that fighting gay rights would no longer gain them more votes than it would lose them. I honestly don't think many of the GOP faithful cared that much about gays getting married in 2004, but they knew acting indignant about it would get enough people to the polls to keep them on the upper edge. Now, not so much. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll ADVOCATE gay rights, or vote for them. They just won't discuss the issue. Such a move might be enough power in Congress to render Obama inert for his last two years in office.

Lex

5. RedState

It all comes down to a shift in society really, and changes in generational thinking. Whereas my grandfather's and father's generation still does not accept homosexuality, younger generations do. And as those generations leave us (not to be too morbid) more tolerance will be introduced.

It is also a campaign move as well...at least from the meetings I have been in. Right now, the majority of Americans don't really care about social issues so-to-speak...it's all about will they have a job tomorrow and the economic situation. The Republicans are planning on hammering that particular issue rather than social ones. For someone that is unemployed and trying to provide for a family, the fact that someone is gay is not at the top of their priority list.

6. Emberstone

hard to use gay marriage as a wedge issue/scare tactic when the majority of americans polled actually support marriage equality.

The tea party and other far right wing fringe groups will not go away, but their influence is waning. the tea party has not been sucessful in their 'boot the incumbents' push, and since coming onto the scene, the republican party that embraced them has fallen even further in the polls faster than the democrats and obama have after the traditional honey moon for new president and his party is over.

anyone fighting against constitutional equality is fighting a losing battle.

7. RedState

Oh really?

Haven't heard that.....nor seen that in any of the polls that we track....which are pretty much daily (excluding polls from the DCCC, NRCC, DSC and RSC because they are internal and biased for the most part)

At this point the Americans don't really care because, they are worried about jobs, economy, etc...which as long as this crowd is in charge will not get any better.

8. Emberstone

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/08/11/rel11a.pdf

please see question 37A. question 37 above also shows the shift towards marriage equality also.

a poll done by a outside research group that was reported on by cnn.

Also, this isnt about the econamy. this is about the GOP, which have often used the threat of 'da gayz' to get people to vote for them dropping a talking point that they no longer can win. We arent discussing the econamy. but if we must...

Face it. the economic collapse happened under republican control of all three branches of goverment. There is a reason the economy is recovering, albiet slowly, under democratic control of the two branches that deal with the economy. Clinton left us with a balanced budget, and a surplus. The middle class was the strongest it had been in decades, and we saw more growth than we had in a long time. that is what history shows. that is what the records show. That is what reality shows.

if the teapartiers truly care about the economy... why do they want to reinstate all the policies that took a stable american econamy, and turned it into a unstable, collapsing world economy?

But then again, this thread is about gop dropping gay marriage as a vocal issue. while the american economy tanked under the GOP's policiys in 2004, they used the thread of 'da gays' to get people to vote for them. That is recorded historical fact.

Now, as america progresses back towards the princible of equality, the GOP is realizing that threatening people with homosexuality is not going to cut it.

Plain and simple... but thank you for taking us on another topic detour.

9. RedState

A simple response to your "interesting" analysis on the cause of the economic situation is: No, no, and another no.

Taking u on a topic detour?
    Ummm. okay whatever you say.
    I was simply responding to something YOU wrote. "Plain and simple" as YOU like to say.

The topic of the thread, if I may remind you, is the GOP dropping the fight against gay rights. I was offering my opinion of why that is. My sincere apologies if my humble opinion and input in this area (since I am a republican and have a little insight in this area) differs from yours. I'll certainly do my best and try and keep that in mind next time.

#9 RedState, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010