1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marines don't want to share rooms with gays: general

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100824/ts_nm/us_usa_military_gays

2. If they don't like sharing their rooms with gay, then they should get the fuck out. Gays are ALREADY in the military. The only thing that would change (and this is for the better) is their mental health. Being closeted simply isn't a good motivator. It has serious consequences.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They said the same thing about African Americans once upon a time.

They got over it.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They need to stop being kids and start being adults....oh wait there are adults right now that are acting like children as it is...

5. RaRa

I'd put a facepalm pic but I don't really want to give them the satisfaction of knowing I wasted a bit of my time finding one for them.

6. Emberstone

wait... you mean you dont keep them on hand in a handy copy/paste file?

oh RayRay... ugh... I mean, RaRa... *shakes head*

7. mydogstewie

This.

8. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We have a compulsory military service for every 18/19 year old. This means that all 18 year old men in this country MUST serve, if they don't have any reason not to, like if they're sick or whatever.. Anyway, they have done a lot of research into openly gay men in the service, and most said they had a good experience and that there was very little homophobia. They said their supervisors did a lot to cut down on using slurs like the f-word etc.

My point is, we have good experiences in this country with gay people serving openly. There hasn't really been any noticable incidents or stuff like that. I'm sure there's still SOME homophobia there, but it's not bad and it's getting better. So I think DADT should be gone as soon as possible. Marine guys will get used to sharing rooms with gays. Hell, they probably ARE already, it's just that the gays are not out to them! They are homophobic, but the only reason to learn is to allow openly gay people to serve so that they can just stick their homophobic rants up "you know where". Gay people are everywhere, we are people just like everyone else. They should get used to us.

9. Beachboi92

Is this a general saying this or an actual scientific poll?

10. Connor22

sounds like my scouts

11. Shevanel

It's one person speaking for an entire division of the armed forces. I don't think its entirely accurate

12. gattsuru

The Advocate has a fairly complete transcript.

General Conway used the phrase "own surveys", so while it's not the result of the recent 150,000 survey mailing, it's more than just his own opinion. The rest of the phrasing sounds like a fairly unofficial method, though, so I'd not consider it especially scientific : that's likely why he lead the call for a more official survey in the first place.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sokk I would rather not live in Norway knowing that all 18/19 year olds must serve. I dunno how guys there can cope with forced service....That's basically conscription and to me is an outdated type of service. No one should be forced to serve frankly.

As for the topic at hand...I already said they need to not be kids about it.

#13 Revan, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  14. Étoile

Was thinking the same thing.

That's absurd. Not everyone's cut out for the military.

However, Norway and the U.S. are entirely different countries with different populations, so comparing us would be silly.

15. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Conscription is a totally absurd and inhumane institution, but don't just bash Norway. Several nations also conscript, including Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Singapore, Mexico, Russia, Taiwan, Thailand, Israel, Greece, and many others.

16. titaniumCloset

I actually am talking with a guy who is in the Army and is gay. He said he experiences some homophobia and he's not out, obviously. People will say fag, that's so gay, etc. but overall it isn't that bad. Some people have called him out on being gay, but he just denied it. I could see branches such as the Air Force and Navy being more gay-friendly at first or non-grunt positions in the USMC or Army. But the grunts (Infantry) of the Army and especially of the USMC are your typical gung-ho let's go fuck some shit up type guys. They are the "alpha" male and have the attitude that a "fag" can't do what they do. If a gay person were to join the Infantry of either branch and be open, I think they could be accepted if they were in amazing shape, shot expert on rifle and were a badass that people could look up to. That kind of person could change how people saw "fags" in the military.

17. Beachboi92

if thats the case then this article words it poorly. I don't think one person coming forward like this even deserves to be put in any sort of news story.

18. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I'm not saying all straight guys are like this, but what's up with A LOT of straight guys when they find out someone is gay they're like "woah back up off of me" like if every girl doesn't want to fuck you what makes you think every gay guy DOES? It's ignorant pussified man-babies lol.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry I wasn't bashing Norway, I mean I hear it's a lovely country. I just was bashing the whole idea of conscription. I am totally not suited for the military, for one thing I'm kind of a coward, I'm not physically fit, and I don't support any form of military service. I realize they're fighting for my right to freedom...but why does it have to be war -_-

20. Just Adam

sadly we do see it though that their are those in teh military where its not good to come out... weve all read about soldiers discriminated and attacked and worse for being who they are even teh idea they may be who they are......

im not sure the military ready to accept people i think it will be very hard for the first generation who decide to serve openly when DADT is repealed...

i dont think this guys speaks for everyone though, i like to think for every inbred hick theres a sensible good hearted person who loves their fellow Americans and is serving to genuinely protect them.