1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative minister Crispin Blunt reveals he is gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11115182

2. fringelunatic

That came as a bit of a surprise. I'm looking forward to seeing whether the Sun tells us all that we're being run by a (ConDem) Gay Mafia now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Just Adam

i dont care about him i feel far more sorry for his wife and children, no wife ever dreams to be told by her husband that hes gay...especially after you've had children ...the thought of it is heartbreaking...those poor children :frowning2: what they must think and feel....

i know its pretty narrow-minded of me but i just cant comprehend people who know they are gay accepting of it or not getting married and then above all having children..... it just feels so unfair to the family, i dunno its a real moral dilemma .

i think its a damn cheek him saying he hopes they can understand and support him... i would be nothing but sorry to them and not dream of asking for support... you've just broken your wife's heart though she prob knew inside that something always been wrong... and his kids have lost everything they know...they are the ones that need the support.

never trust a tory...>.> ( in any respect )

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2010 at 11:01 AM ----------

its the daily mail you need to lok for...theyll say the queers have taken over the country ...the muslin terrorists will have free reign now as were a bunch of pussys....

i despise teh daily mail nothing but hate :frowning2:

(ps i didnt mean to offend anyone here with any of that just dramatised example of the shit the daily mail says every sodding day! )

we know the mail would support the bnp if it wasnt economic suicide.

4. Ben

Ben

I think the point is that he couldn't be accepting of it when he was younger and felt pressured into leading a straight life. There are plenty of men on EC who have been married and had children before coming to terms with their sexuality—and it's definitely a brave thing to do in such a public way~.

But yeah it sucks for the family. I can imagine that he'd stay in close contact with his ex-wife and kids though, because it's not like they divorced because he did something wrong.

5. Just Adam

yea i can get that...

i know people on here who were in similar situation...and i dont understand it i couldent ive not been there but i dont hold it against them...i think my issue is im not able to comprehend it...i think my failing in that is what irritates me...

my actual issue i think with this guy is the remark he made thinking right now he needs the support... i know coming out and accepting who you are and ending family life as you know it is hard ...i know that...but i fee lhe should be thinking about his childrens support more right now.

but as usual thats how i feel...i hope it does work out for everyone i hope they can remain close and can still care for each other.

6. fringelunatic

My reference was to a Sun headline from when Mandelson came out way back when in the earlyish days of the labour government. Not too keen on the Mail either, but I can't read the Sun without feeling acute embarrassment for all sorts of things. I tend to read the Mail at the barbers, who have the choice between a car magazine, the Newtownards Chronicle, the Sun, and the Mail.
    I think you've probably got to remember that the man is a conservative. Therefore it is highly probably that his family was also conservative, and most probably not accepting. You've been lucky in that you've clearly been able to come to terms with your orientation, but Blunt attended Wellington, which is a public school, and not the sort of environment which is terribly conducive to being openly gay. He then went through the army... I think you can see where I'm getting with this. He's bee forced to repress his homosexuality, and for some reason it's all boiled over, and it's come out.
    I think you do have to have some sympathy with him (even if he is a Tory, but that's not always by choice), and also for the family. These sort of situations are messy for everyone involved, especially when the papers are as unpleasant as they are (after all, look what they did to David Laws).

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Meh, he isn't the first Tory to come out and I highly doubt he will be the last.

8. Lebowski45

Yeah I feel sorry for anyone who is in this position (even if they are a Tory :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I ofcourse feel sorry for the families too. When I hear about stories like this, I think they're all victims in a way. This guy is 50, 30 years ago was a totally different place in terms of attitudes towards lgbt people. As has been said, it would probably have been pretty difficult for him to come to terms with his sexuality never mind come out considering his background. He must have felt that pretending to be straight was his only option. It certainly isn't uncommon. It's obviously came to a point where he can't continue living a lie anymore, and in the end he's probably made the right decision in coming out. Yes, his main concern should be his children, I totally agree. But perhaps his parents splitting will make things easier, perhaps in the end, they'll benefit from having happier parents. And yes, parts of the press are brutal and that was shown in the case of David Laws recently (another politician I dislike but felt really sorry for).

Ironic that the Conservatives were (and in some ways remain) the greatest obstacle to lgbt equality in this country, although times are certainly changing. They - and the press - certainly can't get away with saying what they did ten years ago.

9. Just Adam

i agree the press is disgusting...sun , mail, star...... couldnt even wipe your arse with them for fear of spreading more shit on yourself from them pages...

i appreciate that 30 years ago was a bad time to come out and his family prob forced him down military route...was the way back then you wither went straight arrow or a bit of a renegade...

but i believe he could of come out before this... of course i have sympathy cos of the shit the papers will print but i think that sympathy will still be with the wife and children..

how many gay people is this in parliament now? how long till we have a majority? lol

10. fringelunatic

There are quite a few now, but don't tell the Sun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Yeah, he'll be suffering thanks to it being silly season too, so it'll be blown out of all proportion.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hrm...is it just me or...is maybe the whole 10% of the population being gay now becoming defunct....everywhere I look another person comes out :S