1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-gay S.C. group upset at Columbia's Pride support

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...gay-sc-group-upset-at-columbias-pride-support

2. donnie5

HAHA get used to it...

3. RedState

One of the issues, I believe, is the fact that the city of Columbia and the county are sponsoring events during this weekend with public dollars.

While I certainly have no issue with any city raising the flag, and supporting individual rights, I do take issue with using public tax dollars to support one particular lifestyle....gay or straight. Not the government's job.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh will they just SHUT UP.

5. Emberstone

first to go then needs to be public school, because education is a lifestyle choice.

Then, no more celibration of holidays like christmas, so no more displays, because thats tax payer money spent to advocate a religion, which again is a lifestyle choice.

Then, we can get rid of all the trees, because it is offensive to people who dont believe in climate change and global warming, and are offended by the useage of trees to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen, because they feel it is all a bunch of liberal hooey...

Then lets stop useing tax payer dollars to pay for senior citizens and child programs, because people choose to get old by not dieing, and have children...

why shouldnt a city choose to allow people who are oppressed by bigotts have events to celebrate diversity? religious groups and charities get tax payer money all the time from cities... why should lgbt groups not be allowed to have a pride day? why should a city not be able to use the funds set aside for community events simply because it is a event celebrating lgbt citizens.

also, I take offence of your offensive use of 'lifestyle'. Gay and straight are not lifestyles, for lifestyles are choices. Sexual orientation is not a choice, it is a reality.

6. RedState

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Pretty much somes up my opinion.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm confused. Who sponsored the events? The only thing that the blog mentioned was that they "received city approval to hang rainbow banners on light posts downtown." They didn't say that the city payed for any of the flags or events.

I'm guessing you are assuming the city payed for it from the tiny paragraph that said "The flag raised today is symbolic of the city's ongoing and aggressive financial and institutional support of militant homosexual advocacy." I think we don't have enough information, at least from this blog alone, to say that the city paid for the events that took place.

9. RedState

No..just from some of the things I have read about this evidently the city is sponsoring some events, blah, blah. (I get just about every single e-mail every conservative organization on the planet sends out and that is what they have been upset about...not the actual pride thing itself. Although some of the Baptist would just as much see us burn in Hell, lol.). That's what some people are raising hell about.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It would be interesting to read the articles you are mentioning because I didn't know about any of whats going on with. How much money is going into these events and are these the only events that the city sponsors? What other events have they sponsored in the past? I just think that before starting a debate about it everyone should be talking about the same facts. Else, only fighting is going to happen.

Google here I go xDD
    After math problems that is >.>

11. RedState

No articles I got forwarded, just outraged e-mails blah blah....that and a few emails from people claiming they have been abducted by aliens and a few emails claiming that the U.N. should have never been discovered by foreigners. They were somewhere in between all that.

I have no clue as to what they are sponsoring...or what source of revenue it is coming from...or if they are supporting anything at all. People there seem to think they are...who knows? Of course, some of these folks probably think the gays are going to lead to the downfall of the republic too. But, if baseline public funds are going to this (meaning actual tax revenue and not something like a hospitality tax) then I stand by my original point...just think that baseline appropriations should be allocated to core functions of government.

I have no idea what's going on over there...not that big a deal to me really...just passing on what I have heard.

#11 RedState, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  12. Emberstone

bamaboy doesnt understand that the city has the right to use money given to them for community events to host community events.

13. RedState

Huh?

What part of me not having a problem with funds collected from a hospitality tax going to this do you not understand?

Not trying to be an ass, but perhaps you need to understand the basic appropriations process in government and realize there are different line items and baselines for every function. Some cities have hospitality/tourist taxes that go for special events...those are voted on by referendum. Then there are the basic taxes that we are all forced to pay on a local level (property, vehicle, etc,).

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Oh, gotcha. Well, you do have a point and I agree to some extend, but I don't think that point applies to the article. Specially since we have very little informations on it and I personally haven't heard anything from it.

I agree with your point, but when anit-gays attack things like this you have to look, not only at the facts, but at other things to see if what the city is doing is really wrong or if they just started caring about it since they help gay community now.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And this is what happens when you have a liberal gay and a conservative gay posting in the same thread. -_-'

16. UserName

WOOT WOOT represent! Columbia, SC! One of the few gay bars was totally derailed by SLED they came in and made everyone leave the bar because it was 'over capacity' (this never happens in 5 points, the main drinking mecca of Columbia) and then 30 minutes later they let everyone back in... Fuck the popo and bigotry!