1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Top 10 Closeted Conservatives of All Time

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan82

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/09/ken_mehlman_gay.php

2. Shevanel

That is like the most disgusting line ever written xD

This article is actually really fucking crude xD

#2 Shevanel, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And yet I can't stop reading.

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

This is the best article ever.

5. Darkwing65

I'm excited for that J. Edgar Hoover movie.

6. RedState

why are gays obsessed with conservatives?

just curious.

7. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    why are conservatives obsessed with gays?

just curious.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. Bamaboy you don't seem to get it.

# of Conservatives who try to take the rights of gays away, prevent us from adopting, etc: Too many to count.
    # of Liberals who try the same? Not as many. I don't have an exact number but there is one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I realize you're a conservative gay but the fact is, we wouldn't be obsessed with conservatives if they stopped trying to take our rights away.

9. RedState

Well, how well has the current (liberal) leadership worked out for the gay community?

NOT TOO WELL!

For the life of me I wonder when the majority of gays will realize that Democrats are only using them for votes...hell I've heard some Members of Congress openly laugh about it ("We got the Fag vote" is a common term thrown around Capitol Hill)

If Liberals truly wanted to change the spectrum, a lot would have been done by now...seeing how they have had complete control of the government for a while.

And don't give me the excuse that, "well...it takes time to get changes up there" No, it does not. Congress can do anything it wants to in a matter of seconds...if they control everything...which THEY do.

The fact of the matter...at least in the US...most politicians (R's and D's) run from this issue.

#9 RedState, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It didn't help that we had an economic disaster, the war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq, ending the war in Iraq, and the BP oil spill to take care of. Not to mention health care reformation as well as the economic recovery acts, job creation bills, and other things to make sure we don't slip into a major economic depression.

My guess is that there is so much going on right now that things like gay marriage are the least of their concern.

You also seem to forget how long it takes for legislation to pass from either the House to the Senate or the Senate to the House (if it even makes it, which usually doesn't happen).

Things are debated, changed, debated again, and changed (over and over again)...for each the Senate and the House. By the time many bills pass through congress and are signed into law or vetoed by the president, months and years go by.

#10 Swamp56, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010
  11. Darkwing65

The religious Right in this country has hijacked the republican party and has shown to be hateful and aggressive towards those who don't align with their specific beliefs. The GLBT community is one of the many groups they have in their cross hairs; number 2 only to Muslims. The Right is down right oppressive.

Why are we obsessed? Well, when some one treats me as sub-human and condemns you to hell, i take offence.

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2010 at 01:40 AM ----------

This is a good thing, but public opinion is what truly drives politics in this country. To bad too many Americans are to comfortably numb in their own rut to care about politics. This allows for whoever's got the most money and influence to control things.

#11 Darkwing65, Sep 4, 2010
  12. RedState

Ummm...I've been going back and forth working in Washington for the past 6 years...so I think I understand the legislative process and the climate well...probably more than most on this board.

That being said, I very respectfully disagree with your analysis of the true legislative process in Washington. I say that with the utmost love, because that is what I have lived for past few years.

13. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You seem to be dancing around the issue as well.

Do you really think it would have worked out any better for the gay community had, say, John McCain become president? Do you think LGBT citizens would receive more equal treatment had Conservatives controlled Congress?

14. RedState

We (da gays) would have gotten the same thing from a McCain Administration that we have gotten from the Obama Administration...NOTHING.

LGBT issues under a Conservative controlled congress would get the same attention that they are getting under the current Liberal controlled Congress...meaning...low priority...also meaning high priority during elections.

Sorry folks...hate to bust your bubble...but that's just how Washington works People you think are your allies in Washington, openly laugh about it....and we (as a community) fall for it every time.

To hell with it...I read in The Wall Street Journal that the Whig Party is making a comeback! they've got a couple of water commission seats in the mid west and a congressional candidate in Virginia...I may just join the Whig party.

#14 RedState, Sep 4, 2010
  15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhh dude....we got Gay Marriage in Canada because of the Liberal party :slight_smile: Oh and what did the Conservative party try to do when it got in power? It tried to revoke gay marriage within like 6 months after they stepped into power.

Oh and in the USA...hmmm let me think here...DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell, put into law by Conservatives through pressure of Clinton. Matthew Shepard Act signed into law thanks to Democrats. Gay Marriage...Democrats: 52% in favor of it, Republicans: 18% in favor of it. Republicans also have 49% against of no recognition at all. Hmm...what else. The huge deficit that America was put in? Bush, a Republican/Conservative, caused it. And before you say it, I realize that due to the bail out by Obama, our deficit will be even higher but it was to save the country. What else, oh right, Bush started the Iraq war. Gosh yes, the Conservatives sure don't need to be obsessed over :slight_smile:

16. Just Adam

same

anything clint eastwood related is golden to me...the guys the ultimate hollywood bad ass and a true cinematic genius...on screen nobody did a sneer like him behind the screen not many match his simplistic beauty for a story.

it will be a great movie and if given the same detail as milk may be a high winner in 2012. :slight_smile:

17. RedState

I always enjoy...and I am being serious..not a smartass...talking ab us policy with non americans. Because it does provide a good spectrum of what the climate is.

DOMA and DADT put in place by Clinton under pressure of Conservatives? Keep in mind, Clinton put DADT when he first got elected (with a democratic congress) Clinton signed DOMA not under conservative pressure...he didn't care about that...he signed it because he believed in it. All he had to do was veto the bill (cngresss did not have the votes to override).
    You mentioned the Iraqi war. We got a report this week (CBO)..the entire cost THUS far is $705 billion.
    The House of Representatives spent more that in one 15 minute vote(Stimulus I), with only and hour debate in the Senate....on a 2K page bill that they got 4 hours before they were to vote on it. Pathetic.

But, beyond all that (Republicans in the past are just as guilty as this people are now) you have to look at the total unfunded liability of federal obligations. Over the past 2 two it has increased to the highest it has ever been...our total Federal obligations are approaching 78 trillion.

78 trillion.

The GDP of the ENTIRE PLANET is 74 trillion.

Needless to say, it's a hell of a mess. Who's fault? Any one that was in government from 1992 thru present...which means repubs and dems have blood on their hands.

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if I can decide to vote for a guy that is openly homophobic, and deprives me of my rights, and a guy that also deprives me of my rights, but at least doesn't add insult to injury, I'd still pick the latter.
    Yes, even if he probably laughed about it around my back.

I fear that, as soon as you are a voting bloc large enough to influences eome states, but not big enough to found a party of your own, this is exactly the situation you'll get. The Dems know the GOP isn't (or didn't use to be) really a viable alternative for gay rights. But they also know that as soon as they would pass GLBT equality, gay people would just fraction again across other lines (e.g. budgettary policy, which is best saved for another thread). Which would hurt them.

It seems to me to be the same way with the GOP and the anti-abortion vote. A good bargaining chip, but as soon as you give it to people, they stop seeing you as the only game in town. In short, the best way to keep votes is not to act on your promises, as long as the opposition doesn't have a better offer.

It's a messed-up system, but I think it's more human nature than something specific to politics...

19. ANightDude

LGBT Pride Month? The National Hate Crimes Bill? Extending Government emplyee benifits? The fact they're currently trying to repeal DOMA? I'm all for expressing any opinion. I'm personally independent of any political party, but you can't honestly sit ther and tell me McCain would have given us that amount at all, or that this administration has done nothing for us. But politics aside and look at the facts, this administration has currently done more for the LGBT community than any other one in history, that is a fact. If the Bush administration had done the same thing, I'd defend them as well.

20. frostreaver

Well, I don't see any point in a "pride month". I don't even remember which month it was. And the hate crime bill is useless if the judges and what not rules that an attack on a gay person isn't a hate crime. I won't say the Obama administration has done nothing, but definitely hasn't done much. At this rate, I doubt we'll get anything major by the end of his term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.