1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Springfield Cathedral High School athletic director loses job after same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/springfield_cathedral_high_sch.html

2. kwyjibo

Re: Springfield Cathedral High School athletic director loses job after same-sex marr

Oh, the joys of organised religion

3. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Re: Springfield Cathedral High School athletic director loses job after same-sex marr

I hope someone f...ks them over with legal suitszXD

4. RaRa

Just by the name of the school I can already tell its something I want nothing to do with.

5. maverick

What the hell, first that volleyball coach gets fired for having a baby with her partner, and now this?

Oh, homosexuality, ye last bastion of freewheeling prejudice.

It almost seems like the more gay rights and whatnot gets in the media, the more backlash we receive from conservative society in incidences like this where they can exert their petty power to ruin individual lives.

And that pisses me off something fierce.

This woman was a science teacher, the dean of students, AND the athletic director? Apparently it's all fine and dandy to work the ass off the "single" queers in the workplace and use them as office workhorses so all of the breeding straights can spend time with their kids, but the second we come up wanting the same rights to family, we get smacked down.

WTF, mate?

#5 maverick, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  6. Fintan

I have mixed emotions on this.

In one sense it is unfair that she lost her job due to something she can't change.

In another sense, protecting freedom of religion, should ensure that those paying into the institution and those putting their children into the care of the institution, will see that institution uphold the values that they (and their religion) teaches.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe homosexuality is a sin. But if Roman Catholics do, I don't feel I, as a person outside the Church, should be permitted to enforce my beliefs on them.

After reading the article it seems that she understands that school/diocean policy was clearly against gay marriage and she had a good idea what would happen, since she was a direct employee of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield.

Either way with her credentials, I am sure she won't have a problem finding a job elsewhere.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

*bangs head against the wall*

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2010 at 02:05 PM ----------

I was also going to say something about ENDA, but apparently ENDA has no effect on religious employers >_> Still I can't help but feel like Obama should be focusing on passing ENDA right now over same-sex marriage....I mean I don't think marriage will protect someone from losing their job because they're gay.

8. maverick

I guess news stories like this are why I don't think religious people should be responsible for educating kids.

9. Fintan

In the end the question is who should be indoctrinating our children. The State or The Church? Both teach values that people disgree with. Essentially, people in general disagree with which is right, which is why some parents send their kids to public schools and others pay to have them educated in a religious environment.

10. maverick

Can't we just teach them 2 + 2 = 4 without indoctrinating them with moral values? It's one thing to teach kids not to steal, cheat, or assault others, but it's entirely different to teach them to discriminate.

In my opinion that kind of stuff belongs in the home, not the classroom (if anywhere).

What about all the gay kids forced into religious schools where they're taught that they are hellbound abominations? I don't think that religious schools should have the right to teach little kids that kind of stuff, no matter what the church platform is.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged" and all that jazz.

11. NickT

Holy thread resurrection batman!

12. Emberstone

it is called papal infallibility, and it has become something the catholics have extended all the way to the very bottom of the church structure. Do not expect changes to come in catholic institution.

13. maverick

I don't. 'Tis why I am not Catholic. :grin:

If Catholics don't want to get gay-married, that's fine...they have the right to not get gay-married. That doesn't give them the right to tell other people not to do it.

Haha, I didn't even see the date on the OP 'til you said something.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's also called mind control. I'm just saying. Thank God he doesn't have the Papal Staff from the Renaissance, otherwise we'd all be doomed...

15. maverick

[​IMG]

"These are not the homosexuals you are looking for."

16. Eric

It's a good chance I was never taught to discriminate at the Catholic schools I've gone to...

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well that plus Alexander VI was a Templar...and they're trying to enslave the world. The Papal Staff in the Renaissance was a Piece of Eden with the power to control mankind....well ok I've played too much Assassin's Creed 2 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I'm just saying...

18. maverick

Illuminati. They're gonna get ya.

(No really.)

:lol:

19. Fintan

That's simply not true. Papal infallability does exist, and suggests that in very specific articles of dogma the Pope is deemed 'unable to error' due to being fulfilled by the Holy Spirit. However, it is not correct to hold the Pope is infallible in everything he says. In reality, the invocation of papal infallibility is -extremely- rare. In fact, most theologians believe that there is only ONE or TWO instances of the Pope being infalliable in the last 100 years. One being that the Pope is absolutely correct that Mary ascended into heaven alive & full bodied. There is ABSOLUTELY no instance of the Pope invoking Papal infalliability regarding homosexuality. In fact, homosexuality is such a minor, minor issue in Catholic dogma compared to the things which are 'protected' by Papal infallability.

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2010 at 05:15 PM ----------

Same here. I was taught that homosexuality was wrong in maybe, one sermon every 3 years at service and I was never told to believe that gays are doomed to hell. Yet, EVERY single week, I was taught to love my fellow man, love God and search for Him.

Homosexuality is such a minor issue to the Church in comparison to what it teaches as a whole. Frankly, I am just as ashamed to hear ignorant Christians discriminate against gays due to what they believe, as I am ashamed with ignorant gays that group all Christians together and then discriminate against people of faith in general.

Wouldn't it be better if you are a Christian to see the Christian message of loving one another and use it to not discriminate people despite your opinions of their lifestyle?

And wouldn't it be better if you are gay and hold something against religion, to practice what you preach and rather than discriminate against Christians for believing what they do, keep your thoughts to yourself rather than putting them down because of what they believe?

I don't know about others, but I have never changed my mind or saw how another person saw the world because they told me I was stupid for believing what I did/do.

Just my two cents.

20. Charme

Charme Guest

Curious. When do gay people regularly discriminate against Christians? Last I checked, the only religious group seriously discriminated against are Muslims lol.

Oh and I love your siggy. It's like God's the ultimate discriminator.