1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Catholic school AD forced out of job after marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by remow49, Sep 4, 2010.

1. remow49

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I'm not happy with it, but her actions were a known breach of contract, so tough luck. She shouldn't have been teaching at a Catholic school if she has a problem with what they ask of their employees. I am certain I wouldn't expect a Catholic school to allow me to marry my boyfriend and at the same time be a Catholic role-model.

3. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't agree with what they did, but I have to agree that they did have the right. The fact that they let her teach there for 12 years while being openly gay and with a partner speaks loudly that they were unusually tolerant in the first place. It's only after she took a pretty controversial step that they fired her. It sounds like she understood what that would mean for her job in the first place, so she should have been prepared. The church had the right to stand up for their policies, even if it's not something I would agree with personally.

Now if a state run school had done this I'd be angry, but there's a reason church and state are seperate.

#3 Leon481, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  4. remow49

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, true true. I agree with each of you... but she just went one step further and suddenly it was a problem? I don't care what kind of policy it is. It just shouldn't be an issue after so many years of her working there. I know that Catholicism absolutely does not support gay marriage...but just because a gay employee got married that automatically means she has to "resign"? Yes, they were tolerant and yes, the school itself was not the one to actually "fire" her. But when is it okay to fire someone just for one part of a religion that the church doesn't agree with?

What about the other parts of Catholicism that are not, for lack or a better word, allowed? I know they may not seem as big of an issue as gay marriage, but they are also seen as abominations in the church.

Only my point of view.

5. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For one thing, gay marriage is a hot issue right now and one that's likely to cause the church the most trouble from it's members if they ignored the issue. Like it or not, that's the issue the religious public cares the most about right now.

From a religious standpoint, I would assume the rationalization is something along the lines of:
    "Those actions listed in the above quote are each one private sin and are issues that can be dealt with quietly by each individual person involved. Gay marriage is a publicly viewable lifestyle of sin and we can't have someone setting that kind of an example for our kids."

I don't necessarily believe that the gay lifestyle is a sin. (I have my own beliefs on the matter, but that's besides the point.) It's just from a religious standpoint, that's where I would be coming from in their position. Of course, if they really felt that way, why hire her in the first place?