1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thousands rally against gay marriage, abortion

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/09/04/state/n160215D00.DTL

2. Sylver

I've learned to feel really sorry for these extremist "Christian conservatives".. having to live their lives so full of hate, and basing their own values and self-worth on negativity. Not only have they perverted a religion that is honorable and loving at its core, but they are destroying their own selves. They will never know true happiness when all they practice is hatred. I really do feel sorry for them.. their lives will never be as happy and fulfilling as mine is right now! :thumbsup:

3. Alex19

theyre pathetic and brainwashed... o well. its survival of the fittest in this world and theyre a dying breed...

4. Danielle

Danielle Guest

This.

5. Emberstone

So our greatest examples on why we need abortion held a rally that was nothing more than a masterbatory orgy of hatred, ignorance, and vulgar corruption of a religion that calls us to love your fellow man?

should I be surprised?

6. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Here here

7. Charme

Charme Guest

talk about desperate. but whatevs. its their day they're wasting.

8. peaceandlies

I've discovered its pointless to feel sorry for them. But, its just as pointless to hate them, although sometimes i have trouble not doing so. But yes, I have found a lot more happyness and meaning to live since I opened myself up to my sexuality, and Atheism.

(this isn't meant as hate towards christians, just those who harbour irational hate towards me)

9. Emberstone

I would say it is not a matter of hate, in your case, but a matter of contempt for these far right wing christians.

I hold a great deal of contempt. I was raised a christian, and I have seen how cancerous fundementalist christanity has been. it has killed more people than fundementalist islam, and is more violent, and has as bad ideas about gays, jews, and woman as fundementalist islam.

10. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just to be fair, it's not always about hate. I was raised Catholic and went to a few of those rallies when I was younger (because of my parents).

I remember what the people were like then. Many of them went to it because of what they were taught was right and wrong, not because it meant anything to them personally. They were just taught it was the right thing to do and don't question it. To them it's more about fighting the IDEA of homosexuality and has nothing at all to do with the people involved. Actually, in a lot of talks and sermons I heard at the time, we were told to feel sorry for the homosexuals and not to hate them and to bring them over to righteousness by showing them God's love.

I'm not saying that there aren't people who truly do hate us and want to do us harm. There are and there's no denying it. From my experience though, in large rallies like that, for many people who attend, it's just an event to go to because it's "right" to go to something like that and has very little personal meaning to them at all.

#10 Leon481, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  11. Love etc

..I'm sorry, but why are they still protesting abortion? Would they rather have an even HIGHER population when the planet cannot even feed itself as is? Or... would they rather the child grow up in the foster system or with unloving parents (in some cases)?

12. flymetothemoon

I don't want to turn this into a big debate about abortion but I can't just ignore the comment...sorry...there are plenty of people who want to adopt and haven't gotten a child yet. Killing babies you don't want isn't the answer to not wanting the babies or to overpopulation. I'm not saying abortion is wrong in ALL cases, certainly I don't know the situation of every women who has ever had an abortion. And I don't think that abortion should be illegal in all cases either, but I also don't think people should use it as birth control like many seem to do. There is birth control for a reason. If you believe the earth is overpopulated and don't want to further populate it, make the choice not to do so before you get pregnant. But I don't think that is a good reason to abort, or to support abortion.

To put this back on topic, though, I can understand what some people are saying about going to things like this because it's what you were told was right. As a kid, I never questioned going to things similar to this because it was just what I was told was right. If I didn't have some of the experiences I've had with extreme Christians, it probably would have taken a lot longer before I ever questioned any of it. I never went to something that was specifically anti-homosexuality, but went to similar events for some of these other issues. In some cases, I was even required to go to similar things for school (I went to Catholic school). I just think it's really sad that people are being taught that hatred and misunderstanding is right, and that some people are bad for things that don't really make them bad. I always hope that the kids at things like this, and even some of the adults, will have some sort of awakening experience and start to think for themselves and make their own decisions about issues because I know so many of them are just doing it because they were told to.

#12 flymetothemoon, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  13. kettleoffish

buuuuuuurn. :eusa_clap