1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamer suspended over name of W.Va. town: Fort Gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h5X6hL7iERUljRvfymMhMMsPhkigD9I3M0AO0

2. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Must have been frustrating for the guy, but that's really funny. I think I want to move there.

3. Emberstone

this is why I wont get a xbox *ps3, i wont get becuase of the price*.

This is not the first time. This will not be the last time.

4. titaniumCloset

You won't get an Xbox because they were trying to stop people from using "Gay" in a joking manner? Dumb.

5. Emberstone

I wont get a xbox because they refuse to allow gay people to be open and honest. any time the word gay appears, microsoft freaks out, and starts banning people. you can post info on your relationship status, unless your in a relationship with someone of the same gender.

It is like saying 'gay gamers need not apply.'

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah well I just dont use online with my XBOX 360...problem solved.

7. Shevanel

Y'all are overreacting way too much. Xbox Live has HEAVY usage of Homophobic Slurs. Everyone should know that. It's just populated mainly by idiotic teenagers. Microsoft is trying to disallow the homophobia where it can. To the dude who banned the user with "Fort Gay" in his name, he obviously wasn't aware of the town's existence and had assumed the user was using the name of the place as a slang term. Like Fort Faggot or something.

Trust me. More people are using these terms in the derogatory and negative sense than the extremely small number of gamers who are attempting to use these terms to broadcast their sexuality to the public forum they game with. (Which I think is silly anyway)

It's stupid to write off whole companies for misunderstanding what they're doing. It's not stupid to complain about their greed however. Xbox Live just went up in price, and it pisses me off. xD

8. x2x2x2x2y2

That sucks, but it's still funny as hell.

9. Emberstone

my issue is that the legitimize the homophobia by not letting gay people be honest. As long as you try to shelter and hide lgbt away from view, you are propping up the intolerence that is the real problem here. it doesnt matter if you yourself dont burn a gay at the stake, or something extreme like that, but if you try to push away and hide lgbt, you engender the hate.

10. Caprica

Caprica Guest

I don't think you are understanding whats going on. They weren't trying to hide gay people and act like we don't exist. They were trying to STOP people from INSULTING gay people. They guy that lives there isn't even gay. Or at least the article doesn't say so.

11. Emberstone

your not taking in the history of the issue, which this article is not the first point. they judge the location, saw that it had the word gay in it, and banned a person for it. They have a history of banning people who are gay from xbox live because they posted in their profile their sexual orientation in some way, be it referencing a relationship, or just being open about it. This is a broader issue of behavior on the part of microsoft.

they banned a person because they, one, did not educate themselves on the fact that it is a real place, a real city name, and two, because they have worked to remove anyone for mentioning lgbt on xbox live. It is well documented.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/02/xbox-live-bans/

http://consumerist.com/2008/05/gay-player-name-banned-by-xbox-live.html

You do not protect lgbt people by forcing them to stay hidden and silent.

When you force people to be silent, and pretend to be someone they are not, you are basically sending a message that it is not okay to be who you are.

12. Shevanel

No.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]