1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saudi diplomat seeking asylum: 'My life is in danger'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39118941/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

2. Emberstone

I have always mistrusted the saudi goverment. It is has extremely close ties to both democrats, and republicans, yet it is hardly a nation that lives up to many values of democracy. It always is a economic relationship. Sure, they are more democraticly progressive than some middle eastern countries (less so than others), but they still pull crap like this.

3. RedState

Well, the maximum penalty for homosexuality in Saudi Arabia is death....along with many Islamic controlled Mid-East countries..so I don't blame this dude for getting the hell out of that place.

4. Just Adam

it wont take much to give him asylum

5. hoping

Im not surprised , this had to happen eventually. but it is doubtful that the us will grant asylum because the saudi government will turn around and say if the us grants asylum then saudi arabia will pull money and assets out of the us and possibly even cut intelligence ties with the us, because even tho the us and the saudi government say they are friends, its only really the saudi royal family that are western friendly because there is a large part of the saudi popualtion that is anti west and hates the royals for being so open to american ideas. and the worrying thing is that the royal family could use this to gain points with its hardliners and more traditional groups in saudi society

6. peaceandlies

obama will greatly lower my opinion of him if he doesnt let this guy stay. he better

7. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's going to entirely depend on how badly the Saudi Government wants him back. If they force the issue there's a good chance the US will cave.

I hope things work out for him. I really do.

8. Connor22

well that sucks, tough call really, blood or oil

9. ANightDude

That's the unfortunate part of living under a Monarchy - everything is in the opinion of that one man. Hell, they still get after people for witchcraft and such. Ridiculous.

10. Emberstone

still some of that happening here in america... There are still fundie christians who run around, trying to start witch hunts over what they believe as satanisem running rampent.

We just view those people as coooks and in saudi arabia, they praise such idiocy.

11. booby

most of the saudis would hump me if i walked in Riyadh wearing shorts lmao ..
    and Saudi guys are sexxxy ..
    and he is right , homosexuality isnt tolerated here , but i personally can have sex with 3 guys in ksa (if i wanted to) .. so if it's not in public and no one sees you , it's fine.