1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senate to debate gays in military

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42109.html

2. RedState

Being an election year, my guess is that they will defer to the DOD, or the White House...I don't know if Collins, Snowe and Brown would even go along with that.

But, should it pass The Senate, I hardly doubt it would pass The House considering how many House seats are in play. The House is unlikely to take up anything controversial before the election.

3. Dan82

It passed the House in May or June

4. RedState

Sorry, was referring to a pending conference report...should there be one.

Should that come about...who knows?

I'm all for it, but I will be surprised if Congress finally does bite the bullet and act on it.

Great if they do...but I'm not holding my breath.

#4 RedState, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. Dan82

Its part of a larger defense appropriations bill so the house has no choice but to pass it, unless they take the repeal out in conference.

6. RedState

Well, they do have a choice...they can vote not to pass it...at that point they will not be voting on the original Bill but the actual Conference Report, it will be an up or down vote. But...seeing how this is dealing with the Pentagon and such, it is unlikely that the entire report will not pass.

Depending on the makeup of the Conference Committee, who knows if this will remain in the original Bill or not. I still will be surprised if anything happens before the mid-terms, the entire political climate has changed even more since the early Summer and many Southern Democrats are a little skittish at this point, but the interesting thing will be if this one issue is enough for them to vote against the entire report.

But, if they do act on it...good for them.

#6 RedState, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010