1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White House Stands by Veto Threat

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/15/White_House_Stands_By_Veto_Threat/

2. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Obama should be appaulded for his stance on this (in my opinion).

3. Beachboi92

the only reason you are facing an issue with this is because they are attaching bills to it that have nothing to do with the issue of DADT this is why bills should not be able to have shit attached to them...

4. Just Adam

is it wrong that all i thought reading this was ooo a new engine? :grin:

5. Emberstone

alot of conservatives with their hands deep in the militeristic contract coorporate profit pool have been pushing to throw money into creating a new jet engine that doesnt improve upon the existing designs enough to warrent the huge ammount of money that they want the american people to throw at it.

I applaud the Veto, but I agree... the bigger issue is that people need to stop attaching crap like this to bills. the defence authorization bill should be on its own, free even of DADT, which is to revoke a discrminatory practice.

the fighter jet engine is now being used by republicans as another way to block DADT.

the dirty handed trick both sides use way to often.

6. RedState

This may seem surprising, but I do not fault The White House for their stance. They have a legitimate concern over something they deem wasteful spending (granted, this is the first time they have deemed something as wasteful spending, but regardless, good for them...the jet engine issue reminds me of the whole Bradley Tank quagmire).
    The problem, of course, is politics interfering with good public policy within the Halls of The Senate.

But, to ask to do away with that..well..you might as well ask to do away with gravity.

I honestly do think that if the Bill was clean (including DADT) it would pass....there would be some intense debate....but I think it would make it through.

However, The Majority Leader knows damn well that attaching the DREAM Act to this is a poison pill. Republicans are already going to be stirred up about this to begin with...so why add an extra hurdle? It's like knocking a ######'s nest with a stick before you decide to take it down.

But...the state of Nevada has a large Hispanic VAP, he's facing re-election against a crazy woman (who, depending on what poll you read is within 1 point)...soooo...there you have it.

It's nothing new. Doesn't make it a good thing but everyone has done it.

Yes, Bills should stand on their own. But that, sadly, will never happen. Two things you should never watch being made: sausage and laws.