1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The political risks of supporting gay rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-klarman-gay-marriage-20100919,0,7513660.story

2. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It makes sense to me. Politics are a complicated and dangerous affair and if Obama doesn't proceed carefully in dealing with gay rights, it could interfere with his other work. There are far more immediate concerns to deal with due to the current state of this country. Let's just hope that when it's safe to do so, he'll do what's right.

3. RedState

Amazing.
    The Press will continue to do all they can to prop up this Presidency. Should this have been George W. Bush (or any other conservative) I imagine The L.A. Times would have taken a slightly less defensive approach. But nothing from that outfit really surprises me.

But I digress.

Despite my dislike for the L.A. Times they actually do make a point. It's nothing more than Politics 101 really, when you face term limits you take on the more sticky social issues after you get re-elected.

I obviously blame Obama for a lot...I'm still trying to find a reason to blame him for my losses at the dog track...but I don't fault him for this move. It's nothing more than smart politics.

4. Emberstone

it is one thing to blame a president for their actions... it is another to ignore them so you can blame them.

the president doesnt hold the power to change this, which is held both by the judicial branch, and the legislative branch.

Executive orders are impermemant, and getting a permanent solution takes time.

he has still done more in his short time as president to try to advance pressing issues of lgbt rights and equalities then really all the other presidents in american history combined... all while dealing with the mess left for him by the previous administration, and its policies, which were distinctly homophobic. though bush failed to get alot of his anti-lgbt pushes passed, such as he hatefilled attempt to ammend the constitution to legitimize homophobia.

Can obama do more... presidents can always do more.

but how much more do you think he needs on his plate. economist have shown the recession ended in 2009, and he still has to help further grow the econamy he has already been able to pull back from the brink of prior economic policies. He is winding down a war that was built on nothing more than a series of disproven, desperate lies, and is working to try to bring resolution to the growing tensions between isreal and palistine, which of course is historically always the sitting presidents job. He is further working on changing the game in afganastan, and has authorized the military to ramp up the intensity, and has actually shown more sucess in his short time as president leading the armed forces in having concise and strategic blows against the hierarchy of al quada than in the whole of bushes handling of the war.

more jobs have been created so far than in the whole eight years of the previous administration, even if that is a far cry from the 21million+ created under clinton. the rate of job loss as drasticly dropped, and the econamy is showing sign of stability and growth.

or should he have thrown that all out, and put all his focus on lgbt.

like it or not, gay marriage and DADT do not effect as many people as ongoing warfare, economic collapse, and job destructions that were dropped in his lap. he has done more for us that any president has to date.

That is like at your graduation, shooting the teacher in the head who did the most for you as a student...