1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has the Pope Beatified a Gay Saint?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.beyondchron.org/articles/Has_the_Pope_Beatified_a_Gay_Saint__8516.html

2. Emberstone

isent worshiping the pope a sin?

i am sure the bible says you will worship no one but god.

3. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Assuming you're not just being sarcastic, It's just a figure of speech.

I really don't understand the love for this pope either. He hasn't really done much worth noting so far. In fact, all reports I've heard about him have been negative. Besides, something about him freaks me out to be honest. Every time I see him on T.V. or something I get this feeling of foreboding from him. I don't really know why.

That article has me wondering though, what was so special about this guy that he needs to be made a saint? Usually sainthood goes to people who have proven to live exceptionally holy lives or have some sort of miracles attached to them. I'm not an expert on this guy, but neither seems to apply here.

#3 Leon481, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  4. Charme

Charme Guest

I think he's only doing it to appeal to the British Catholics.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What does beatification mean?

6. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's basically just the technical term for declaring someone a saint. I think there's more meaning to it than that, but I never really payed attention when I was learning all the vocabulary as a kid.

7. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

It's not. Beatification is a step in the process, the last step. Newman is not a 'saint' yet.

8. partietraumatic

It's the 3rd Step towards being a saint.

He must now be referred to in the church as 'The Blessed Cardinal Newman'.

The next step is to actually be made a saint.

I also share the thoughts about what he did in particular to deserve being beatified. Nothing I've heard about how he lived his life seems worthy of it.

Mother Teresa was beatified relatively recently, she seems alot more deserving of it.

#8 partietraumatic, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  9. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I stand corrected. It's been so long since any of this has come up around me that it's all pretty fuzzy.

Already? That was fast. Most people considered her a saint even when she was alive so I guess it's understandable.

10. partietraumatic

Yeah, i seem to remember hearing they want to make her a saint as soon as possible. I think they started the process soon after she died. I'm not an expert on church things, but I'm fairly sure thats pretty unusual! It's hard to disagree with it though, she defs deserves it. Interestingly though, i remember reading that she was agnostic, not christian. Clearly they don't regard that as important :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It IS really rare for someone to go through this process so fast. I remember that much. This process on average takes decades at least.

Sainthood being considered this quickly only happens in cases where there is little to no question that the people involved are deserving. Most often it happens in cases where there are proven miracles or heavenly visitations involved. Also people who there is no question as to them leading a very holy life. Mother Theresa definitely fits into the second category. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees there.

12. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Being a 'saint' just means that the Catholic Church recognizes that said person is in Heaven. Proclaiming a saint does not mean that that person suddenly gets to get into Heaven, the Catholic Church is merely acknowledging something that has already happened.

The Church acknowledges as well that there are many many more people in Heaven than just those who they've proclaimed to be a saint, but the Church requires a lot of "proof" and does a lot of investigation before making such a claim. First, the person needs to have lived a good Christian life then two miracles must occur after people have prayed to this person. So, there has been one miracle attributed to Newman, if there is another he will be made a saint.

13. Eric

John Henry Newman - Future patron saint of digging dudes.

14. partietraumatic

By 'good christian life' does that mean just living life to christian values? Or does it mean you have to be a christian?

I was just wandering, on tv they were talking about Newman, and (as discussed earlier in the thread) they talked about Mother Teresa. But she was well known to not believe in god, or at the very least to have difficulty with the concept.

So do the church not regard that as a problem?

(im just asking coz you seem to know what you're talking about, and i know very little about this kinda thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

15. Shevanel

This is called believing the headlines just a bit too much xD She had difficulty in the concept just as much as anyone does, especially someone who devotes their life to God as much as she did. Everyone has dark times in their life where they question what they believe (Not only religious beliefs, everyone and everything). The media just likes to overblow things. Questioning doesn't make you a bad Christian anyway.

16. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As far as who can become a saint, I think it depends entirely on the circumstances. Mostly Saints will be catholics, but it seems there are very rare occasions where there are exceptions. If she wasn't catholic (I always thought she was) Mother Theresa is an exception because she was famous all over the world for her kindness, generosity, and many, many good public works. Keep in mind though, she isn't a full saint yet.

Right now, if she was only beatified, she would be known as the Blessed Mother Theresa in the church. It's more of an acknowlegement that someone was extremely holy. Sainthood is beyond that. Many candidates for sainthood never make it past that and are still highly revered. She may never make it to full saint because of her beliefs, but this is still a great way to honor her.

#16 Leon481, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  17. Allecto

There was a gay guy who was in talks to be beatified, but some Catholics just denied furiously that he was gay, even though he identified as gay and worked with LGBTQQ people. I don't get why his sexual orientation should matter; he was celibate anyway. You can read about the whole thing here.

Honestly, they should just beatify Cardinal Newman. He couldn't have been any worse than Mother Teresa (who was actually a pretty nasty person).

18. Étoile

Still wonders what's the purpose of the Pope....

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I read this as "Has the Pope Beautified a Gay Saint?" and I was like talk about stereotyping. But if the Pope/church want to recognize this person as saint worthy, that's their prerogative I suppose.

#19 Phoenix, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
  20. Emberstone

power. before the advent of democracy (which was church was violently against), power was maintained most often by a figurehead. that is why monarchial systems are common. The Pope is the 'King of Christ', and was created by the church, against the teachings of christ, which never in the bible advocates the papacy, and actually condems such systems of power, was created by the early post christ church to ensure the catholic church would be preserved.

You would have to remeber that christians suffered great persecution. it is no wonder the church decided to create a kingship... they needed a figure head. it has just got out of control. greed, corruption, and child abuse are not modern probems in the papal hierarchy... they have existed as long as the papacy has existed.