1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man chosen to lead Marines against lifting gay ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5grHLcTA5VMaxM1KPtvrf3OTOfZuQD9ICCS0O0

2. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Attaching that defense bill to this was a dirty trick. I guess someone figured either it would prevent the bill from getting passed or else it would get passed anyway in favor of public opinion and further their own agenda. Either way it sucks.

As much as "don't ask don't tell" sucks for gay enlisted people, repealing it may have to wait. Not only is that defense bill a pretty bad idea, but they make a good point about shaking up the military like that when they're still fighting so hard overseas.

DADT definitely needs to be repealed, but it might be better off happening once things have settled down a bit more.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quick question: How may times more will I be banging my head against my desk? 10? 100? 1000? ONE MILLION DOLLARS?! *raises pinky to mouth* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Ooops....wrong movie :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    [​IMG]

#3 Revan, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  4. peaceandlies

urg... homophobic american politics. i'm starting to prefer political anarchy

5. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In this case, I think he was worried that, due to attitudes in the current military culture, repealing DADT whould cause more chaos. It's not necessarily homophobia on his part, but more like an acknowledgement that homophobia exists in military culture and the realities that come along with it.

If soldiers openly come out and there are homophobes in their units, how can they trust each other? If they can't trust each other, they won't perform as well in the line of duty.

It makes a lot of sense. If it's a choice of causing further risk to my life in a dangerous situation or having a few more rights a bit sooner, I'd choose my life.

It doesn't really matter anymore anyway. The bill repealing DADT was rejected today due to stupid political tricks that have nothing to do with this issue.