1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovery Channel's new Transphobic show "Who The Bleep Did I Marry?"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Greggers

The Discovery Channel put out this extremely offensive promo for “Who The Bleep Did I Marry?” It equates a trans man with a bank robber, a serial murderer, and a cheater.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LkqnJCmgTw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

PLEASE COMPLAIN.
    http://corporate.discovery.com/contact/viewer-relations/

If you don’t have cable, just fill out your provider as “N/A.” The network is “Investigation Discovery,” the show is “Who the Bleep Did I Marry?” and it’s on at 10:00 pm.

Let them know how offensive and transphobic this is and pass it on to as many people as possible. This kind of thing is not okay.

2. djt820

LOL NO. They aren't compared. They are specific examples of episodes that are going to be shown. I found it rather funny.

3. Rikudo

Naaaw it's comparing them. It's just it's as shocking as finding out something like that unexpectedly.

4. No One

I agree, I dont think it's offensive at all. All those things are things that your would be EXTREMELY surprised to find out. I don't think it's saying that they are all alike.

And to a spouse, that is almost as bad to find out as them being a robber, so if they were comparing anything, it was that.

5. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree, I can understand the surprise but the reality is that a FtM transexual is not female but male. It's offensive to suggest otherwise, IMHO.

6. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I really don't see how that is transphobic.

7. Emberstone

equating trans people to criminals?

really?

Question: was this show created by the same guy who gave sarah palin a reality show about alaska, and who talks of her as being the smartest, greatest woman in american politics?

8. Chandra

The part that's offensive in my mind is how the bride says "He's a... she." No, he isn't a she, he's a he.

Having said that, the reality is that if a person marries someone without revealing something from their past as major as gender reassignment surgery, they can't really expect it to go over too well once their partner finds out. Concealing something like that is a form of lying.

9. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

It may not be transphobic as in "TRANSVESTITES ARE SICK THEY'LL GO TO HELL" but it seems to be yet another example of the constant treatment of every non-heteronormative identity as something that can only serve as comic relief.

10. Zach1992

It's NOT equating them.

11. Alex19

i dont think they meant it in an offencive way.. they were just giving diff scenarios of who people married lol theres really no need to get bent out of shape