1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indianapolis Bakery Won't Serve Gay Students

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/indianapolis_bakery_wont_serve_gay_students

more here:http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-bakery-wont-make-rainbow-cupcakes-092310,0,6300849.story

2. donnie5

haha I really don't understand how these people can even take themselves seriously. comparing rainbow colors to obscenitys? probably just wanted some tv time from good ol fox news...

3. Dan82

The Fox News article I posted certainly wasn’t taking their side. It was from a local Fox station not from Fox News itself

4. RaRa

This. If youre running a small family business you want to attract as many customers as you can, not turn them away.

This cookie or cupcake or whatever place should be closing down soon after a boycott.

5. Emberstone

how screwed up will his daughters turn out to be because they have a father who is trying to protect them from rainbows?

6. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So true. I mean, it's just rainbows. If they were trying to protect their daughters, they don't have to tell them what it was for. Now their daughters are going to hear about this for sure. Great job protecting your kids guys.

7. RedState

An issue over cupcakes.
    Are you serious?
    And some wonder why some in the mainstream think arguments made in the gay community are frivolous...gee I can't imagine why that is.
    I'm sorry, I think this is absurd....not that he didn't make them (it's his own business...he can do what he wants to) but the fact that this is even an issue.
    Please. If this guy didn't want to make their friggin cupcakes then I'm sure there are other bakeries in town that would.
    It's called growing thicker skin....I suggest these guys look into it.
    I'm sorry...bitch homos just drive me crazy.

#7 RedState, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  8. olides84

^ Oh, give me a break. If someone isn't gonna serve me because I am gay, because I am black, because I am a Republican, because I am a Jew, because whatever, I'm gonna raise a stink and at least share it with my friends and if I can, with the community at large. So would you describe me as a bitch homo?

9. x2x2x2x2y2

Are you serious?

Going by this logic, I suppose we should just not fight for our rights either. Wouldn't wanna be a "bitch homo" and speak up against ignorance.

10. Eric

Yeah, and I'm sure Rosa Parks could've just sat in the back of the bus.

Yeah, they'll certainly go to another bakery, but what if they're refused there? And at the next one? I understand that making a big fuss over cookies sounds ridiculous but it's still not right for a business to discriminate against any group.

11. ANightDude

Tell that to the entire gay community and see how many actually agree with you.
    They aren't "bitch homos", they're normal people like you and me, and they simply showed pride, and they were turned away from an establishment.

It's not the fact they didn't get cupcakes, they were turned away because of who they are. It echos the 60's, huh? And you cannot POSSIBLY support something like that.

12. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :rolle:

Sorry, but this "bitch homo" would have make a fuss right along with them.

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2010 at 08:15 AM ----------

oh, and the "we're a family-run business" bullshit spouted by them pisses me off so much. It's like, um, HELLO. Gay people are a part of families, too.

13. RedState

I'm sorry....I would hardly equate the civil rights movement to a fight over cupcakes.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bama's on to something, but I don't think he's got it.

What should have happened was this. The students ask for rainbow cupcakes. The bakery says no. The students go to another bakery, and ask for rainbow cupcakes, and Bakery Two makes them. THEN the students go to the media, and make the following announcement:

"We attempted to get rainbow cupcakes for Coming Out Day. One bakery refused to make them, but I'd like to thank Bakery Two for making them. They were great."

Free publicity for the bakery that did it right.
    No publicity for the one that didn't.

>>>I'm sorry...bitch homos just drive me crazy.

There's another type that piss me off more.

Lex

15. Just Adam

I want to make rainbow cake !

16. RedState

I frankly don't care if the entire gay community agrees with me or not.
    I still think the entire thing is absurd.
    It's not that I don't see their point, it's just that I would have said WTF and gone to another establishment. It's just that simple.

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2010 at 12:20 PM ----------

No, not necessarily.
    I gossip with my peeps all the time, like who's sleeping with who, did you listen to Rush Limbaugh today, and can you believe Brenda is wearing that outfit today?

Now if you organized this mass protest because you didn't get a cupcake, than I would say yes and that you have entirely too much time on your hands.

Sure I would have bitched about it, then I would have gone about my business.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's shake things up a bit.

Let's say a church group goes to a bakery and wants a bunch of cupcakes made with crosses on them, or "Jesus Saves", or something of that sort. And say the bakery refuses, claiming they're bringing up their children as athiests, and don't want their kids exposed to the brainwashing beliefs of Christianity.

How many would claim "discrimination" here? Because I know of a few people who would go out of their way to patronize such a bakery.

Lex

18. Just Adam

Can they b asking for a garden of Eden cake instead with tree apple snake naked figures?

The promocan be " this cakes a slice of Eden "

19. RedState

Probably the same amount.
    And you know, I would have the same response. I simply don't care.
    Maybe I'm too cold hearted and cynical...maybe I have other things to worry about, like why my dryer keeps eating my socks.

I still stand by my original statement. I think the whole thing is silly. Not trying to incite a riot or anything, but that's just the way I see it.

20. BeautifulStranger

Then don't say anything.
    Clearly, the people posting in this thread care about it. You don't share the same opinion as the others. You don't have to post/say anything.
    If this was a thread entitled something like, "Your opinion on the Indianapolis Bakery etc..." then by all means, post away, no matter how much what you said pissed off people.

But back on topic...

I'm glad the media covered it. I do agree with Lex's idea of "Bakery A sucked, but Bakery B was awesome" though.
    Still... I'm hoping that LGBT and LGBT-friendly groups stop all business there.
    I realize they're trying to instill good family values in their daughters, but clearly acceptance isn't one of them.