1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snyder v. Phelps: a case of free speech or harassment?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.times-standard.com/othervoices/ci_16117219

2. lostinthought9

I hope the court sides with Snyder on this one. I mean, there HAS to be something this Phelps guy is violating under the First Amendment.

Can't they argue that this form of expression poses an imminent danger to society, and should lose any constitutional protection? I mean, think about it, people protesting at funerals, a place where emotions are running high, and people are distraught; and the fact that they protest and outrage the people attending, could result in an outburst and having someone get seriously hurt. That's linked to the "clear and present danger test," right?

3. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's probably one of the arguments they'll make. It is a good legal argument, though it comes close to that fine line that so many judges are wary of. That line is why their original win was overturned on appeal.

There has to be some kind of compromise here. I can't stand the thought of those Phelps people winning. It will only fuel their fire and make them feel justified. It's a sickening thought.