1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9 states file brief opposing gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_16173116?nclick_check=1

2. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Disappointing, but I'm glad at least my state isn't involved.

Personally, I'm on the side of the state not being allowed to perform ANY kind of marriage, gay or straight. Marriage is a religious institution and always has been. Now, civil partnerships I'd agree to.

I know technically I'm just splitting hairs on terminology, but really it shouldn't be called a marriage when it isn't technically one. Changing the name from marriage officially would also serve a lot in getting the pressure taken off and make it easier to get passed nationwide.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great Florida...the place I love most of all aside from here in Canada, it makes me extremely sad.

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

4. ANightDude

Eh... no. Marriage has been around since pre-history. The first known laws of marriage were written into Hammurabi's Law Code. It's been around quite a bit before any major religion, and was mostly for breeding in order to keep tribes and villages going, as well as wealth, power, heirs, love, etc. Religion originally had nothing to do with it, it was mixed in later. Just sayin'.

5. peaceandlies

i officially support the same thing - to recognise relationships, and call them civil partnerships for all genders and orientations, but that will never happen. so i support gay marriage instead

6. Alex19

im glad my state wasnt one of the nine. ny can b pretty cool sometimes

7. Johnnieguy

Umm. No, marriage was never intended to be a religious ceremony. Religion hijacked it hundred of years ago (even though marriage has been around much longer).

Aside, it is good to see that none of the states that really matter filed a brief. Not like such a brief matters anyway, since Prop 8 CLEARLY violates the US Constitution.

8. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in Michigan, so this is just beyond irritating. Whatever, the people who filed the brief can go fuck themselves (sorry to be vulgar, just pissed.) :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

9. lostinthought9

Honestly, I find your post to be a bit offensive. Just what exactly qualifies a state to "matter"? ALL states in the U.S. are significant and DO matter. I can't imagine you were talking in terms of population, considering most of those states that filed a brief are significant enough in population size to "matter." :dry:

10. Shevanel

I thought so too. A lot of these states DO matter actually. Every state matters >_>

11. Emberstone

technically speaking, do the states have the right or authority to file these briefs.

if I understand state law correctly, these nine states can go sit on thier heads, because this is a california issue until it moves into the federal supreme court arena. prop 8 does not challange other states, just the one it was enacted in.

states are not suposed to interferre with the legal and electorial processes of other states.

That is a big issue right now with this for me. If this was the supreme court, and it had far reaching constitutional issues, yes, then these states can file their briefs... doesnt make them right, but they need to right now keep the fuck out of california's court system.

it is not even like all nine are apart of the 9th district court of appeal's jurisdiction...

take the hate, nine states, and shove it up your asses.

12. Fuck 'em all. xD

But seriously, this sucks. Anyone who enjoys preventing others from being happy needs to go take a book and forcibly insert it into their anus.

13. Emberstone

they would have to take their heads out first...

14. True, very true... :dry: