1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Speech Tested Anew in Digital Age

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704760704575515830575865598.html

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Damages for emotional distress. What a bunch of phooey. Sorry, folks, but having your feelings hurt? Not a reason to get money from the person who did the hurting. And I hope, even as much as I hate Fred Phelps, that the courts rule in his favour or at least, they are VERY careful with their wording if they rule against him. This could too easily get out of hand if the courts don't watch their language and have a fully justified reason why spewing hate speech is bad. From my knowledge, while the WBC is mean and nasty, they haven't condoned vigilante justice. Don't get me wrong. They want us all dead. They just want the government to do it.

Also, on a not gay related note: Seriously? We are back at video games again? What. The. Fuck. Does the USA really think that emulating Australia's insane censorship laws will be a good thing? And I love how they are specifically singling out RPGs. Because FPS games are clearly angelic. Head shot for Jesus! And sweet merciful nonsense! Video games are not just for children. Why can't law makers get that through their thick skulls? Those games with the blood, gore, violence and whatever are not meant for children. Look at the parents with their heads in the sand if you want to really blame someone. AND besides all that, video games have never been shown to actually do any damage to children. It just so happens that everytime a person who does a bad thing stands within one meter of the game, the media screams,' IT MUST HAVE BEEN GRAND THEFT AUTO THAT CAUSED HIS CANNIBALISTIC TENDENCIES!'
    /rant