1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender senior can't be king

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan82

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/muskegon_county/No-'king'-title-for-transgender-senior

2. RaRa

He's actually pretty cute. :slight_smile:

Sucks that he can't be king for homecoming...but it's nice how his peers are supportive.

3. Yeah I totally have to agree that he is very cute. But it is awesome that his peers are so supportive and everything, its just dumb that the school officials have to be D-bags.

P.S: THIS TOTALLY HAPPENED RIGHT AROUND WHERE I GREW UP!!!! LOL!!

4. RedState

Ok...let me see if I got this.

She is still a she and not a he...yet that is, since it said that she was going to have a sex change operation soon.

If She is still officially a She (meaning she has all the working parts) then I don't fault the school at all. Vote for a boy for king and a girl for queen. What's so difficult about that?

God, when did things get so friggin complicated in high schools? When I graduated the biggest concern was that I wouldn't pass out on my parents front lawn after a night of underage drinking.

#4 RedState, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  5. Charme

Charme Guest

Agreed except on the working parts. Cuz some transgendered people still have the working parts of the sex they have opposite of what's on their official and legal identification. But in this case, she is still in fact a she so she cannot be king.

Things started getting complicated when kids of my time figured out they can do so many more things than the kids of your time.

6. peaceandlies

why not change the records then? you only graduate once. its just a form of legal transphobia

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

He has always been a he and the mere fact that someone has a penis or a vagina does not automatically make them a male or a female.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yet another lovely Conservative, and uneducated, view from Bamaboy. But like Danielle said, he's always been a he, and just because he has a vagina at the moment doesn't mean he's not a boy. The school should change the records because the fact is if they are sooooo "supportive" using male pronouns and such, then they should be able to change it since they consider him to be a he already.

9. RedState

It's not a question of a conservative or liberal statement, Revan. I saw it as a question of science.
    It's not uneducated I don't believe, I was simply going on what I interpreted from the article. She said she was going through a sex change operation soon correct? I viewed that as she was still a she.

Maybe I'm flying the face of science here, but if one has female anatomy that is in working condition, wouldn't that classify someone as a female? I'm simply asking.

I don't know if everything is intact with this person or not....I took it that it wasn't.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bamaboy, that's still transphobic. Plain and simple.

11. RedState

How?
    I'm simply asking because I don't know. All I know is what I learned from biology and human anatomy.

I'm mean noting against this person....i wish them the best of luck and a speedy recovery whenever this procedure takes place.

12. Rikudo

How is that transphobic? I'm interested in that as well but whatever.

I think Michael's saying that biologically he is still a she that's all. He didn't say anything bad about him.

13. Eleanor Rigby

I tend to think that gender is not only a matter of science, but also a matter of identity.
    This person identify as a male, live as a male, is recognized by his parents, peers and teachers as a male. I personnaly think he is a male, whatever his body parts say.
    And I think we should be careful when talking about science, because even if he decides to go through a sex reassignment surgery to match his body with his mind as much as possible, surgery is not going to make him biologicaly male. Biologicaly he still will be female. Does that mean we should deny to recognize his male identity ? I don't think so.

On the side of it, I think school missed the opportunity to educate it's pupils to tolerance regarding transgender people. From what we know, people from this school acknowledge his male identity : they let him dress as a man, they use male pronouns to talk to him. I think it's a pity they didn't take the next step and let him be homecoming kind.
    But I also think that it's a very encouraging sign that even if the school disagreed on letting this kid becoming homecoming king, he get so much support from his peers. That shows that young people can be very open-minded on trans-identity question and are welcoming of transgender people, if they are educated on that matter.

Now about this discussion itself.
    I understand that it can be a heated topic, but it would be great to manage staying civil with each other. Disagreing is perfectly fine, but calling someone transphobic is not adding anything to the argumentation, and calling conspicuously a transman "She" on a support website where there are several transgender persons who haven't complete their transition yet is unnecessarily provocative.
    Keep in mind that debate is about argumentation and not provocation.

Take care, Cécile

14. Emberstone

from what I have read, the student body for the most part is outraged at the schools decision, and is standing behind this student.

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm this is kind a confusing thing... On one hand he is still a girl. On the other he identifies as a boy and if you didn't look in his pants you wouldn't even know. But you can see why the school will do it. They can't just let a person who is legally a girl become homecoming king since it's probably not allowed for girls to become king period. By definition a king is a male. Scientifically the person is a female. Only thanks to todays technology can he become a female. (I don't even know how the heck girls become guys... do they just grow a penis?) Anyways, it wouldn't make sense when they can become queen. Someone who actually isn't trans could try to become king just or the hell of it if they let him... hmm I'm going to support his side though.

I think you should legally have to be the sex of a male to become king, and sex of a female to become queen. And at age 16 or something you should be able to legally change it 1 time every 10 years (so people can't change it all the time)... ohhh if i ruled the world... >=)

Oh and I don't think bamaboy's view was uneducated.

16. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Actually, thats exactly what it means. Otherwise, the person wouldn't WANT to have surgery.

I agree with what the school have done 100%. When he is 'legally' a male, go for king all you like :slight_smile:.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't matter, he's considered by everyone to be a boy, and it's the school who's preventing him so it's ridiculous. As for how it's uneducated, all I can really say is if you considered yourself to be a boy but had female anatomy down there, would you want people to say you're still a girl? No I think not. Plus, not understanding of how it works and claiming knowledge of biology and anatomy is the definition of transphobia. Just like people who are homophobic claim that's not how biology/anatomy works for gay men and women (penis does not go with penis, vagina with vagina).

A phobia is generally either a misunderstanding of something, or an aversion to it because you don't understand it and bamaboy, you clearly don't understand it, hence transphobic :frowning2:

And SAGUY and Bamaboy, both of you frankly remind me why even in the LGBT community there is still phobias and discrimination in our own community....

18. RedState

Well, technically a phobia is being scared of something.

I never said that I was scared of a girl who identifies as a boy or a boy who identifies as a girl. Nor did I say that I had any problem with anyone who fits in this category. It's their own business. Furthermore, there is a VAST difference between not understanding something, and outright encouraging discrimination or un-acceptance, so I don't see who you can remotely compare the two.

I don't understand why people watch "Glee" either. But that doesn't mean that I feel uncomfortable around or despise the people that do.

So, you will understand why--from this "uneducated" point of view--I see your logic as flawed.

As far as your last statement: Have you been reading Karl Rove? Because you are basically engaging in the same "which hunt" type behavior that many accuse him of. You are throwing the bigot card because two people offered up something that runs contrary to your line of reason. You are accusing me for being prejudice and discriminatory.

I happen to be neither.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey here's the funny thing, I'm in a Psychology of Prejudice course at my school and discrimination/phobias/prejudice can be seen as a lot of things. And frankly I see you as being uneducated in how transgender works. I didn't say you were a bigot, to me a bigot are the people who express their disgust in something. To me all you're doing is misunderstanding how this entire matter works. So to me, your logic is flawed.

20. Spectre

Bamaboy,

Just to reiterate something Eleanor said:
    So why is only when he has "working parts" that he is considered a male? Your viewpoint may not be transphobic, but it seems that it goes along with society's ignorance toward the issue of gender identity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.