1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ivy league schools actively recruiting gay students.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to this article in Details Magazine, Ivy League (and other) colleges are actively seeking gay students, and disclosing your sexual orientation on your college application may increase your chances of admission.

2. Shevanel

Unfair? =/

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Yes it is. But if I had known that I would have applied to Harvard.

4. Blakus

hahaha. this is really interesting.

reading about how you have to apply for college at the US makes me so glad that I all I have to do down here is just put my details and preferences online and if I get the score I get in. Stuff writing essays and whatnots. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wh-wh-wh-WHA??

6. NickT

Eeeeh, I'm all for things like Affirmative Action so long as it's temporary (to get the minority on its feet), but sexual orientation hasn't been a big factor (or at least I don't think it has, unless you're going to a place like Bob Jones "University") in college acceptance. Therefore is this really necessary? It's not like we haven't been going to school. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dirty little secret is that there are a million preferences at every selective school.

When I was at Oberlin, the admissions people were aiming for as diverse an entering class as possible, so they actively sought applicants from underrepresented states such as South Dakota or Wyoming or Mississippi, where fewer students seek to go to college, so a student from South Dakota had a very high chance of getting in, while a student with the same academic record from New York would have a much tougher time.

Likewise, students who are the first in their family to attend college get preference, and students from low income families, and all sorts of other things.

One can argue that it's unfair, but ultimately, it benefits not only the student who might otherwise have had a tougher time, but also the more "average" students, as they get to mingle with and get to know people of different cultural, economic, and social backgrounds. For me, that was one of the best things about Oberlin is the opportunity to be exposed to a level of diversity in every way that I had not been around growing up.

8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I haven't decided if this is unfair or not.

On the one hand I don't think people should be given special privileges because of sexual orientation. In my mind this is almost as bad as negative discrimination. If I get something I want it to be because I worked for it.

On the other hand, I think it says a lot about a person if they can grow up a persecuted minority and still do well in high school, lead extracurriculars, etc.

9. FollowThePanda

Things like this are some of the more superficial reasons for widespread homophobia. Or at least it seems to be that way to me.