1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOP's dilemma on gay rights: Win over advocates, or risk losing its base?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/27/AR2010092705929.html

2. Alex19

i hope they shift their stance on gay rights cuz if they do then the road to equality will become alot more easier

3. Emberstone

it is easier for a republican to win by danging groups *gays, free-thinking woman with jobs that wear pants, blacks, hispanics, muslims, college professors, scientists, entertainers...* infront of a ignorant people to scare votes out of them than anything else.

They are mostly silent on lgbt rights issues, but you sure as hell hear alot of them profiling hispanics as illegals in legilsation and campaign speeches.

Republicans of the modern recent times campaign on fear and hatred, because portions of their base can be whipped up into a skinhead-fantasia easily by being told they can blame all the ills of america on *insert group name here*

The only blessing of the tea party is that is has freed the right of center republicans to have more of a voice. The moderates are a welcomed voice against the extremisem that is becoming more vocal, and at time close-to-violent.

The party is going to have to decide... nazi style scapegoating... or come back to the table, because the moderates cant do it alone.

4. RedState

>>>It has freed over right of center republicans.

Most of the tea party activists don't really focus on social issues. The base of the movement is less government, lower taxes, etc...hence the name Tea Party (Taxed Enough Already), and of course the reference to the event in Boston...which had to do with taxes...I don't think any of the colonists dressed as Indians carried any signs saying "Down With Da' Gays"

As far as being extreme, I hardly think that advocating less government intrusion and a lower overall tax burden is a radical point of view....if it is, then consider me a radical.

But, as I have said before, every movement has its kooks.

The Republican Party's "lack of focus" on social issues is no accident. It simply has to do with poling. Politics is nothing more then a game of numbers...simple addition and subtraction. The majority of Americans simply are not focused on social issues during this election. Let's say you are running for Congress in the Alabama 6th. When close to 70% of the people polled say they are more concerned with economic situations then any thing else, why in the world would you base a campaign on "fighting against" homosexuals?

And those numbers are pretty reflective across the country. At this point, the GOP can afford to take a pass with the base, because as mad as they get about the social issues now, they sure as hell are not going to vote Democrat in November.

And besides, this is coming from The Washington Post (which is about as non-partisian as "The Limbaugh Letter")...and I think they are completely misreading another important factor of the GOP base: Less taxes and government.

#4 RedState, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. Emberstone

well, not to further the derail... how will republicans pay for their all tax cuts, they didnt pay for them last time, and I dont think any american needs reminded what collapsed because of the tax cuts...

6. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Something collapsed because taxes were cut?

7. RedState

Well, my initial thought is: when did paying for anything bother anyone in Congress?

There are ways...like, say using un-used stimulus finds for a starter.

Secondly, the economy did not suffer because of the tax cuts. If so, then why are so many House Democrats demanding of The Speaker that a vote be held to extend the deadline of the tax cuts...to all people. Yet, The House adjourned today with no vote and left town.

Thirdly... and once again I can't believe I'm going to kind of defend The President on this...Bush nor Obama (although they had veto power) are not alone to blame on all this.
    Congress, not Presidents, is to blame for our current situation.

The CBO's projected 10 year deficit when Mr. Obama took office was $4.09 Trillion. Now, after 20 months the expected deficit is $7.7 Trillion.

And.....who controlled the purse strings?

When The Speaker and Sen. Reid gained power in January of 2007 the deficit was $161 Billion. 3 years later, the Pelosi-Reid Congress has added $1.2 Trillion to the deficit.