1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indy bakery could lose lease for turning away gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100930/NEWS02/310010004

2. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I think a business has every right to deny anyone service.

I still think that the lease holder has every right to not renew the lease.

3. NickT

4. RedState

Ahh, the famous cupcake story again.

It's an interesting case in the sense that did he refuse them simply for the fact they were gay, or simply that he found the message for the cupcake objectionable and refused to make them (how a rainbow is objectionable I don't know, but nothing surprises me anymore)?

>>>A business has every right to deny anyone service.
    Yes and no. They can deny anyone service within the confines of the law. If a business in the US today put up a sign that said "No Blacks Allowed", aside from being a bad business move, they would also be in violation of the law. Now if someone is unruly or, idk, doesn't follow the old "no shirt, no shoes, no service" rule, then certainly they can deny service.

I think the owner was within his right not to put something on an order he deemed objectionable. A bad business move, but within his right. But what would have been interesting to see is what would have happened if these guys had ordered something else afterward, like a chocolate cake or something. If he still refused to serve them after that, then I think you would have a very clear case of denying service simply for the fact they are gay, and elevates it to another level.

What the guy should have done is simply say: "Look, I feel uncomfortable putting this on here, so I'm just going to make them plain and you can put what you want to on them"
    The guys probably would have gone somewhere else (which they should have done in the first place) and it looks like it would have saved this guy a lotta heartache.

#4 RedState, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh huh....this seems like a different explanation than what they've said several times before this article :S

6. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Too busy, my ass.

7. peaceandlies

personally, i would be glad if they were evicted.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of the problem is they lied their asses off and tapdanced around the issue. The wife told a reporter one story, and the husband told a different one.

They are bigots who don't like homosexuals. Should the government be stepping in and telling them who they can serve in their privately-owned store? Well... that gets into iffy territory. I think most anyone would find it repugnant to say that a store had a right to refuse to serve black people, but that was common 40 years ago. And it's so socially unacceptable now that no business will openly do that; let's look at what happened at Denny's a few years back.

But if the store is located in city-owned property, and nondiscrimination is a condition of occupying the city property, then the store has an obligation to conform to the rules of the property owner, particularly if the property owner is a municipality.

So while the penalty might be harsh, I applaud the city for stepping up and saying this sort of thing will not be tolerated.

Now wait and watch one of the looney conservative Christian right-wing "rights protection" organizations pop up and sue the city for the right of these bigots to continue to act with bigotry.

9. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    No, it's not. What if a business were to turn away customers for due to their race or religion?

10. Danielle

Danielle Guest

It is their right (in my opinion) just as I said the right of the lease holder to kick them out (which you left out)

Any smart businessperson wouldn't deny anyone service

11. Chandra

I see this as being a bit of a lose-lose situation for LGBT. If the shop gets to stay open, then their bigoted views are being tacitly supported. If they're forced to close, the public is going to see it as the Big Bad Gays shutting down a poor little family-run business.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they want to lose business it is their problem...

13. Chandler

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually think both parties are in the wrong here. The bakery was wrong in refusing the order, when they could have easily just made the cookies without the rainbow icing. Then the customers could have iced them themselves. Bam. Problem solved. I don't think it's as big a deal as the media is claiming it is.

14. Emberstone

denying service to someone on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation is illegal in the united states.

Racists, homophobics, sexists can all go to iran, which will welcome them and their views with open arms... but this is america.

15. x2x2x2x2y2

This.

And this.

That's karma for ya.