1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student teacher says Beaverton, Oregon School District discriminated against him

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton...chool_district_discriminated_against_him.html

More here:http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com...-in-class-that-he-would-choose-to-marry-a-man

2. Emberstone

omgawd... we must protect our kids from those who wear cardigans!!!

Beaverton always seemed to me to be the conservative answer to Liberal-Moderate portland, so I guess I am not surprised.

I think this is a double edged sword. Was he wrong to answer the kids question? not really, because it is not like he replied "no, I cant get married because I like to have sex with other men". Kids tend to be smarter than adults about things like this, and we often do not give them credit for understanding mature subjects. At the same time, he probably could have just said that he wasent married, and left it at that. it is not that he was wrong to speak the truth on the matter, but when you are a student teacher, you have to walk a very fine line.

I do question the mentality of a parent who would be disgruntled. the problem is not the existance of gays, but the choice to be a homophobe.

There is no legitimate reason to be homophobic that is not based in a choice of the homophobe. Being gay is not a choice, but being a homophobic person is making the choice to be hateful and fearful of a non-threat.

3. RedState

The whole deal about dressing improperly is nonsense. Hell, i gotta wear a suit everyday to work but I hardly doubt that pressed slacks, a button up and cardigan sweater would get me fired if I showed up one day to work with it...maybe a "you need to dress more professionally" but not a pink slip.

As far as the first circumstance...I think the guy was out of line. I'm sorry, you just don't discuss your personal lives, in that detail, with students....especially ones that age.
    The guy, when asked by a student why he isn't married, should have simply said "I just haven't found the right one" or "I'm not in the right situation right now".
    Sorry, i think the teacher was in the wrong on this one.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough call. I think the way the student teacher handled it was reasonably respectful. It was a factually accurate response and a 4th grader is probably mature enough to handle that. If parents think it's inapproprate for a gay teacher to acknowledge being gay, then honestly I think that's pretty bigoted.

5. RedState

Well, it is factually accurate indeed.

But say if I am a teacher, and i tell one of my students that I simply drink entirely too much and sometimes don't remember the 2nd half of an Alabama football game, and sometimes don't remember driving home. That certainly is factually accurate...but is it appropriate in that particular setting?

#5 RedState, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  6. Emberstone

I really dont see what is wrong with his dress, infact, it as described seemed quite formal for teaching. it was not like he was wearing assless leather chaps! wearing a tie and a cardigan... OMGAWD, CALL THE INQUISITION! WE HAVE A MALE WHO CARES ABOUT HIS APPERENCE AND COMBS HIS HAIR WITH SOMETHING OTHER THAN CHICKEN GREASE!!!

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry Ember...but your comment about chicken grease LOL it cracks me up. I keep expecting racist animated Disney characters to pop out and start singing about living on the Bayou. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm sorry...I had to!

As for the article, this just makes me laugh my ass off.