1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sen. Jim DeMint: Gays, Single Women Shouldn't Teach

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20101002/ARTICLES/10021004/1002/SPORTS04?p=2&tc=pg

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow....I've heard about stupidity, but this is ridiculous.

3. kettlkorn

This is not a wise political move. The republican party is abandoning the gay marriage issue, and I think the people who stick to it are going to be left behind.

What is really interesting is the juxtaposition of these two phrases:
    DeMint said if someone is openly homosexual, they shouldn't be teaching in the classroom and he holds the same position on an unmarried woman who's sleeping with her boyfriend — she shouldn't be in the classroom.

Which is followed by this one, two sentences later:
    "They don't want government purging their rights and their freedom to religion.”

Uhhh.... what?

4. Miss Modular

Hmm. It used to be the case that the only women who could teach were single women, and as soon as they got married, they'd be fired under the pretext that now they had a family to take care of and that a man needed that job to support his family.
    It seems rather odd for this guy to imply that the only women who can teach are either celibate or married. And if he's a true social conservative, shouldn't he believe that a woman's place is in the home? Instead of this liberal notion of women working?

5. RedState

I agree with Sen. DeMint on just about everything...with some exceptions of course.

The fact that someone is openly gay, or gasp, un-married and shacking up with their boyfriend, certainly should not disqualify them from teaching in a class room.

Now, should your private life become a personal agenda in the classroom (regardless of what it is) then you have a problem because that is clearly not an appropriate setting.

But I don't think I've ever heard of a gay teacher trying recruit students to attend the local gay pride parade.

I respect DeMint a lot, but he is in the wrong on this one.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well for once I will agree with you bamaboy. No teacher should bring their bedroom to the classroom or their personal agenda. Though I'm unsure if he's talking about either a gay man or single woman's personal agenda, or if the dude is subtly talking the gay agenda.....

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a gay single woman who's going into teaching... :lol:
    My sexuality has nothing to do with my teaching, and when I've been in the classroom it's not relevant and thus I don't make it public. The most I did was tell a couple of my students that it was great that they were so open-minded when several of them said they had no problem with gay people (which they themselves brought up). I'm in no way pushing any kind of agenda by being a gay teacher.

8. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I completely agree. Single women obviously don't know about life since they aren't strapped to a man, and gays will molest our kids and try to convert them!

[/sarcasm]

9. RaRa

I lol'd

10. Emberstone

dont mind demint, he is so partisan he craps his poops in the shape of elephants...

dont expect a full on card carrying partisan of either party to drop the more extreme views of the fringe.