1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay-bashers thrive in modern-day Netherlands

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/ezra_levant/2010/10/08/15630946.html

2. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

That's so depressing. Am I the only one who feels like homophobia is getting worse lately instead of better (I mean on a global scale)?

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Well that's counter intuitive. And yeah it seems like acceptance is going backwards as opposed to forward.

4. Charme

Charme Guest

Amazing. I hope to see immigration rates being cut in the near future. Also, I don't get why it would be illegal to compare the Quran to Mein Kampf. The Bible takes shit and it's not bitching as loud. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming the prosecutors are Muslim? Do forgive the Islamophobic context but why are Muslims so hypersensitive?

5. Shevanel

I wouldn't say it's Islamophobic. It's like in America, the whole Quran burning thing. That's not Illegal just in the same way burning a Christian Bible isn't illegal. You CAN do it. Is it the right thing to do however? Not at all. So people shouldn't.

But I don't know why they're hypersensitive. Extremists can talk people into crazy shit. That's mainly what we see of Islam though, in the news and stuff. The extremists. So Like. Myah.

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

On the whole "why is it illegal to compare books to Mein Kampf": this is a very loaded question. I'm having the impression that in the US and Canada it's a bit more of an academic issue. WW2 is a story about: "us vs. the evil Nazis"
    In Europe, however, we had the Nazis fighting in our own cities. In many cases, countries, towns and families were torn apart as different people sided with different sides. All of them still hold that they made the right choice, given the information they had. It's more of a story of "the various resistance groups vs. the Nazis and uncle Benny"

After the war, there was a lot of old scores getting settled, people being prosecuted, and almst civil war in some cases over the whole resistance/collaboration situation.
    As a result, many countries strictly regulate free speech when it comes to comparisons with Nazis and usage of Nazi symbols. And it will probably be some time before it gets relaxed (at least until most of the current older generation has died off).

As for why some (by no means all, or even a majority) of muslims are sensitive: they feel like a persecuted minority too. Quite a few of them live in poor neighborhoods, have extreme trouble in finding jobs, are more or less openly discriminated against (Wilders in the Netherlands holds the opinion that it should be possible to forbid Islam, and that there should be such a thing like a "head-rag" tax for people who want to wear a headscarf in public, for example), and are then blamed for not making more of an effort to fit in.
    Oh yeah, and then there's people saying we should not only burn Qurans, but everyone should rejoice that we have those liberties.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that when faced with active opposition, people are never going to just give in.

That's not to say that there isn't a big problem, there really is. Immigration policy has failed in more ways than I can mention. And there is a real issue with homophobia and dealing with various minorities at each other's throats. As a government, it's extremely tricky to get involved, and impossible not to be seen as the oppressor.
    But instead of throwing away the baby with the bathwater, I'd rather see some real solutions rather than creating walls and writing articles like this one, filled with "oh woe is me, poor oppressed rich white man").

7. Miss Bubbles

They need to take care of that problem. I mean don't be afraid to hurt their feelings! I am sick of the world's governments thinking they would come off as racist if they stopped a group of people from breaking the law.

8. donnie5

In amsterdam's defense I have a very good friend from amsterdam he is a foreign exchange student and he's more comfortable with me being gay than most of my friend s who are very comfortable with it...

9. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I think if i was going to a homophobic place, I am carring a fucking gun so those bastards know not to attack me, fight fire with a bomb

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no you're not the only one

11. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

That was probably bound to happen. The more we come out of the closet the more we bring homophobes out of the closet. If we become louder they have to become louder. Although I think you can see that we're winning and that at least in the non-Islamic world it's only a matter of time.