1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of Consent Laws

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Elven, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Elven

http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm

I just found this table and it shocked me into realising what the situation is really like at the moment, since I wouldn't have expected homosexuality to be illegal in some of these countries. I take it many others will already know alot about this but I found it interesting so I'm guessing some other people will.

2. Eric

Wait, what? Two dudes can't get it on before 18 but two chicks can mess around at 16 in Canada?
    Double-standard much. <_<

Eh, I'm not surprised by most of the countries there. I'm more surprised that some countries allow Female-Female relationships but not Male-Male relationships.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And yet in France it's 15 for all of them, 14 for all of them in Serbia and 16 for all in UK. Go figure.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like how Vatican City is ? and ?. Obviously it's 10. lol jk.

But why can two girls have sex in lots of countries but two guys cannot... weird....

5. Elven

I think maybe man/man freaks out the authorities more because it seems more "real" to the idiot men in charge... and religion blah blah blah

6. Miss Modular

Well, if I remember correctly, this double-standard stems back from Victorian England, when it was thought that lesbianism was too unimaginable to even exist, so no laws were created to make it illegal. But anyone who violated gender norms could be arrested or fined or something.

7. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

As far as I know in Canada the law only applies to anal sex and I don't think it's enforced because police aren't going to ask about what kind of sex it was.

8. xCrazyInsanity

I find the double standard on lesbianism amusing.

There's places where m/m is illegal but laws for f/f consent are there

9. Bryan90

Well, it might really have to do with the "risks" involved. We can't deny that in Toronto, a majority of the people inflicted with HIV are male who have sex with male. So I guess the law assumes that 2 years will hopefully help some people to get a little more mature and understand the risks involved :S