1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staten Island Muslim teen beaten, called a 'terrorist' by classmates

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_..._muslim_teen_beaten_mocked_by_classmates.html

2. Shevanel

This really doesn't have to do much with LGBT rights at all, besides the temporal and location proximity to the Bronx gang torture.

Horrible nonetheless.

3. Dan82

In addition to being taunted for being Muslim he was also taunted for being gay; it’s in a part of the article after my excerpt.

4. Shevanel

Ah, I see.

5. Emberstone

any bullying is relatable to LGBT, because if we tolerate it, we are apart of the problem.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Emberstone is completely correct. LGBT bullying or not, if we say "oh it's not LGBT related, why does it belong here" we're a part of the problem. Yes he was taunted for being gay as well but he still was also taunted for being Muslim which is just as bad if not worse.

7. Shevanel

Yes, I'm a part of the problem. let's just take me to the back and shoot me in the freakin head :slight_smile:

8. Emberstone

if we want others to be a advocate for us, we have to be a advocate for others. Bullying is a broad subject, and impacts everyone. if we stand by, and just tolerate someone else being bullied, we are perpetuating the system of apathy that is one of the reasons bullying gets out of control.

it is like how people are trying to say that bullying is just a natural part of life, and they are saying it about the people who commited suicide because they were bullied to a point of no return. that additude of tolerence is a problem, as much as the act itself.

9. Shevanel

Right. Just continue saying that. Because that's exactly how I feel about bullying (GIGANTIC FUCKING SARCASM). God, you fucking people and your high horses. Just what I needed to start this fucking day.

10. NickT

Okay Let's All Hug And Cookies And Wuv.

11. x2x2x2x2y2

*waits for thread to be closed* :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2010 at 01:36 PM ----------

BBOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

LET"S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!

jk

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shev, seriously, step away from the keyboard for the next fifteen minutes and CTFD, OK? Your error was a totally understandable one, but I think the other people have points, too. So let's all take a break, jog around the block a couple times or something, and then if we want to discuss the actual content of the article, we can do that.

Lex

13. Shevanel

No, they're completely right. I hate anyone who isn't white because I'm a white supremacist. I also do nothing but hate gays and encourage bullying. I'm an evil person. I don't love anyone, I have no soul.

14. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Bah. To be very specific, this is a section for dealing with LGBT related news. And while this article falls under the category for the gay bashing element, it is easy to see how one could get confused by the seeming lack of relevance. Wanting this to be a forum for LGBT issues does not mean we do not support other minorities or gender equality. In much the same way, a cancer organization isn't against HIV research; it's just that their focus is elsewhere. No need for attacks, folks.

As for the actual article... BAH HUMBUG. I say.
    Bullying. My real question is how the balls the teachers/administrative staff get off on not doing anything to stop it? I cannot believe that no one knew what was happening or that no one took measures to stop it. And further more why is bullying not considered assault? I understand that 'they are kids/teens', but physical abuse and harassment shouldn't just get a pass because they are under the age of majority. Thank goodness he decided to speak up and get some justice served.

15. Emberstone

I have been bullied for alot of things. short kids bullied me growing up for being tall... taller kids bullied me for being short. fat kids bullied me because I was always skinny because I was always growing *a foot in a year and a half is painful... and hardly enough time to fill out.* I was bullied for having a speech impediment. I was bullied because I didnt play sports. I was bullied because I liked to read alot. I was bullied because they thought I was gay (it was not that they knew I was with certainty, but because it was the worst insult they could come up with).

I understand bullying, because it was a major problem for most of my life.

bullying is a issue that is important to everyone. If we do not stand up for someone who is being bullied, simply because we dont know if they are lgbt or not is throwing fuel on the fire.

"All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke.

Not all of the kids killing themselves actually were gay, but they were bullied for being gay in the eyes of the aggressors, because that is what idiots and closet cases do; they use lgbt as a insult.

16. x2x2x2x2y2

While I see where you're coming from Emberstone, I agree with what Numfarh said. The section is called LGBT News, Rights, Issues and Equality.

That doesn't mean that I don't care about anyone who isn't LGBT nor does it mean that I care more about LGBT people.

But until this section takes out the "LGBT" part of its name, you can't be surprised that someone would ask why a (mistaken)straight victim is posted in here.

17. Emberstone

still, equality isent just defined to lgbt rights.

This students rights were being infringed upon by others. religious freedom, thanks to whackjob fundie christians and right wingers is a problem if equality to. We were founded by diests, not christian theists, and they were hurassing and bullying him both for being muslim, and because they percieved him as gay.

18. RedState

When did all of this shit get so out of hand?
    When I went to HS and Middle School, sure we had bullies...but it never resulted in anything like this.
    I never got bullied or picked on (except one time in 7th grade and some jerk made a comment about my book bag or something and I socked him in the nose...problem solved).
    Now, I almost got my ass whipped a couple of times in High School but not due to bullying, that was due to me being a smartass....whew...thank God I was the one that had the booze connection for the football team. But I still had my fair share of black eyes.

Even in college, you always had people that would pick at people...but we never heard of it ending like the stories of the past few weeks.

I obviously read and heard about the cyber bullying and all that crap.
    I read the disturbing story of the guy that took his own life on line while people watched (and friggin cheered him on! What kind of fucked up people would do that?? and where are they being taught this behavior?) This, almost tribal, "Lord of the Flies" behavior we demonstrate is downright disturbing at times.

One of the most haunting things that I keep replaying in my head is what that one gentlemen was thinking as he typed "Jumping of the GW Bridge now. Sorry".

And that goes for the other kids as well.

The reason I'm asking this is simply because I have just started to pay real attention to this whole thing (that meaning not just glancing over an article in the paper)...because I just simply though most of it was like the shit I saw when I was in high school. Has it always reached this level where we have people killing themselves over this or has is simply elevated to this new level over recent weeks and months?

#18 RedState, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to make one thing clear, Shev, what I said wasn't an attack on you at all. I was just saying what I felt, and I'm sorry you felt I was attacking you personally.

20. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

My mom came in my room yesterday asking me to be careful. She's terrified that all these hate crimes are happening in New York. Especially since the guys who did the bashing at the Stonewall Inn were from Staten Island. I hope she doesn't read about this because it will scare her even more. I'm worried too though. I'm very capable of taking care of myself if I need to but I know lots of guys who would seriously get torn to pieces and honestly its terrifying to think about.