1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians told to leave shopping center

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7725929

2. Holmes

Let's hope their protest goes well and that the security there get the right training. I think these things are changing, if slowly.

3. Emberstone

does 1964 mean nothing to the security guard? private buisnesses are not allowed to discriminate against costuomers.

4. Miss Bubbles

well technically isn't it a public mall? Emphasis on PUBLIC

5. Emberstone

malls are owned by private coorporations, rarely within the general area of where the mall is. the larger malls in my area are owned by a coorporation in california and i think arizona respectively.

however, private buisnesses are not allowed to discriminate against potential coustomers in such a way.

6. HackmanWIU

Unfortunately, they can, remember sexual orientation is not one of the protected groups..yet.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think hackman is probably right. I'd be quite surprised if, in 1964, a law was passed to protect homosexual customers......

Anyways, they should not be able to kick them out for that. Stupid people.

8. Emberstone

1964 civil rights act was not solely about skin color. it laid the foundation for later cases. denying service to gay people is protected by the 14th ammendment, which gives equal due protection under the law, and because of the civil rights act, the same protections have to be granted to gay people.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    unfortunately, the civil rights act does not explicitly protect sexual orientation and that's pretty much settled law until extended to do so by the Supremes. The 14th Amendment hasn't yet been extended to apply to sexual orientation; that's the whole basis for the Prop 8 argument headed to the Supremes. If the Supremes vote against Prop 8, then that will set the precedent giving sexual orientation protection under the 14th Amendment.

There was a recent case in California where an obnoxious minister was actively going up to people and trying to convert them in a California mall. The mall security had him kicked out, and he sued. The court found that the mall owners had the right to kick him out, as the mall was private property, but that decision was thrown out on appeal. I don't know if it's yet been appealed beyond that point, but I'm pretty sure it's in limbo right now as to the rights of a mall owner since it's a psuedo public space.

On the issue of private businesses being able to discriminate based on sexual orientation, there's no federal protection to prevent that. Some cities and states have it, but I don't think North Carolina is one of them.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

The Supremes should vote against Prop 8, I mean Diana Ross seems like a level headed person. Sorry it was too hard to resist. But yeah, throwing them out because they didn't like their PDA is in poor taste, but what can ya do.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my God >_> Like I'm sorry...but I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I mean seriously, he right out said "it's because you're the same sex and it's inappropriate". I'm sorry, last I checked this is 2010 not 1910.

12. x2x2x2x2y2

^lol

Gays are screwed by the law, for now. Period.

13. Beachboi92

i thought they had changed the federal law to protect people of different sexual orientations in fact i thought i saw a thread about it here.... like a long time ago...

14. maccy P

I'm glad this doesn't happen in the uk, but it is horrible to hear that people are still treated like this in the USA.

And did anyone else notice that the reporter dehumanised the two women: "how a lesbian couple claimed it was treated". They are not an it they are a they!

15. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It may have been in reference to a particular state adopting more stringent equal rights laws.

16. peaceandlies

Damn, I feel slightly sick at that. Its disgusting

17. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree, how infuriating. People are actually offended by an arm embrace followed by something as simple as a kiss on the cheek? That's pathetic.