1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rand Paul: abolish DOE so schools can’t teach about gay families

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2010...doe-so-schools-cant-teach-about-gay-families/

2. NickT

I'm ashamed he's from my own state.

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Yes, because learning about it later on won't be weirder for them.

4. Emberstone

Coming from a family of educators, they do not teach homosexuality in schools. they do try to teach tolerence and humanity... which it seems these tea party whack jobs lack.

Rand Paul is just a spoiled child who lived his life with a silver spoon in his mouth and a jewel encrusted gold dildo up his ass. Harsh words, yes, but how can someone who has never had to worry about money, being able to get a education, or being discriminated against when he has had a pampered, privledged life from birth claim to understand what america needs?

We should teach people about same sex parents. schools are there to help people get a well-rounded knowledge of the world in many different facets and area... social justice counts as one of them.

5. RedState

Well I know there is no such thing as "Homo Ed 101" in schools, but i do think the Federal Department of Ed should be abolished...or at least scaled down.

reagan said it best when he stated that the Federal Government does not belong in the classroom. That is best handled on the local and state level.

In all honesty, how does some jack-leg in DC know what is best between a school district in Orange County, CA and Jefferson County, AL....both are different and both require different needs.

Federal educational funds should be issued like a block grant, and individual states and districts should be flexible to use the funds as they see it.

Of course, I also support Charter Schools, school choice and vouchers.

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2010 at 07:25 PM ----------

Yes, we should teach people about same sex couples....but that is not the public schools role. That is the role of the parent.

6. NickT

Riiight, the parents are doing such a good job "teaching" about homosexuality so far.

7. RedState

Doesn't matter. It is still not the public schools role to teach that.

The government can't outlaw shitty parents.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I never learned about gayness in schools. I learned it by tv. Anyone who pays attention to the television for 5 minutes will understand what homosexuality is. The media reflects the times, and since the country is getting less uneasy with homosexuality more and more portrayals of it are making its way into television, movies, etc.

9. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I take it you're against the fact that most teachers in lower grades do some sort of educational event on MLK Day to promote equality and raise awareness to how the country used to be and why that thinking is wrong? (At least, when I was in school they did. I guess they may not anymore.)

10. RedState

Oh how did you guess? Gosh, you got me....which reminds me I need to get my white robes out of the cleaners tomorrow. That's a joke btw

Please...while in spirt it may be the same in reality it is not...at least not in the current reality.

#10 RedState, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  11. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My question was genuine. If it came off as sarcasm, I apologize. It was not my intent.

Racial equality is just one of the things my schools tried to encourage. Should I mention the over-inflated propoganda "OMFG GUYS MARIJUANA MAKES YOU STOOP1D" campaign that was present at my middle and high school? Are you also against schools encouraging kids not to join gangs? Oh, and schools shouldn't crack down on bullies either, because that's what parents are for, right? To teach kids not to treat other kids disrespectfully and to discipline them when they don't? There's also the whole anti-alcohol campaign, but I won't go into that..I think you get my point.

My question is when is it deemed acceptable for schools to latch onto social issues, if at all? If the point of public schooling is to make well-rounded (?), educated (lolwut) individuals, should we not try to instill these messages into them? When will the reality that you speak of be reached? I think some of them are definitely taken overboard, and do more harm than good, but still. I'd appreciate, you know, a serious response that isn't completely sarcastic or laced with your comical "jokes" (and I use that term lightly.)

#11 OutToSea, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  12. Charme

Charme Guest

I'm going to assume you also don't think birth control should be taught in public schools? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

13. RedState

Look, it all comes down to this (and I apologize if this makes some people's heads explode) but the fact of the matter that the issue of homosexuality is still a very sensitive subject in this country...at least in certain parts of it. While teaching the basics of the Civil Rights movement is appropriate within the confines of the classroom, sadly the issue of sexual orientation is not covered in that original law. Hopefully one day it will be included in it...but right now it is not.

Homosexuality is a very sticky subject with many people across this land. Granted, it is getting a little better (although with the recent plague of these horrible suicides I don't know how much better).

As far as bullying...I got picked on a couple of times in middle school and I solved that problem by socking the individuals in the nose. I never had another problem. Granted, times have changed since then...and my heart goes out to those that feel (for whatever reason) they have no where else to turn. Kids can be mean bastards (like the little pricks next door to me that always throw my newspapers on my roof when I go out of town...don't worry...I've got a plan for them) and those that feel like they are "men" by constantly picking on those they feel are physically inferior than they are should certainly be dealt with in the proper manner.

I think people need to understand how a parent may be a little uncomfortable with a teacher instructing, say a 5th grader, on same-sex couples. In that regard, I certainly respect the parents right to take that issue and explain it to their children themselves.

Right or wrong, many view homosexuality as a moral issue....I do not but many (especially in the South) do. And with that mindset I respect the role of the parent to tackle that issue themselves, that's all.

In regards to birth control (while I realize that it is unrealistic that all high school students are going to completely stay away from sex...I certainly didn't) I think it is the appropriate stance for schools to maintain the policy of abstinence. It's really a catch 22. Schools can't be educators and parents at the same time.

14. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you. I actually agree with you for the most part, my biggest concern is about the bullying students face because of their sexual orientation. That's where the the whole issue gets especially complicated, but I can see your line of thinking for the rest of your response.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Abolish the education department....I'm sorry...what? Without an Education Department what will they learn? Bigotry 101? How to play video games? I always thought an ED is what, you know....organizes schools so the kids learn math and such.

(I know this isn't actually the case, I'm just teasing)