1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOM seeks to influence November elections

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=111129

2. Miss Bubbles

Oh my flipping goodness!!

3. Emberstone

they dont want to play by the rules, so they are going to try to forcefully change the rules so their hate can continue unabated...

how long before they get their work camps and gas chambers built?

4. RedState

>>>how long before they get their work camps and gas chamber built.

I actually had to laugh at that one...I don't think NOM is planning to construct Ravensbruck anytime soon.
    Yes, damn that First Amendment. Free speech should only be granted to those that we agree with.

What's the big deal? A political active organization, regardless if you agree with them are not, are going to get involved in political elections. It's the nature of the beast....so what?

So...let them run their ads....in the end it's up to the People as to who gets elected to what.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Why don't you use quotes? Just curious, it's not needed and you get your message across perfectly. I just want to know. :frowning2:

They should be able to run their message as long as it's not hateful. Nothing they have run before was hateful, so I don't see why we should stop them from running their ads.

Plus, they have like..10 followers. So it's no big deal.

6. Emberstone

it actually is a matter that they dont want to be seen as a political advocacy group. They have demanded pro-gay marriage groups be required share donor lists, but when required by courts to do the same, they refuse to.

They arent registered as a political action group. They however have been getting in trouble lately for the fact that they are a non-profit group that is not registered as a political action group, but they are breaking campaign laws by campaigning with political cannidates.

If they were a registered political action/campaign group, then it wouldnt be something they could be challanged on.

however, they are stepping bounds their filings do not grant the the right to do.

If they want to actively politic in the election, they have to register NOM as a political group. They dont want to do that, because it is harder to hide their funds that way.

This is not about freedom of speech, this is about NOM's continued efforts to bend the rules to spread their hatred.

7. RedState

>>>Why don't you use quotes? just curious.
    I'm puzzled by your statement. And I'm not trying to be an ass at all, I just am honestly confused on where you are coming from with that. If you would clarify it it may help me better make my point in the future. Again, no smart-assness intended, just an honest question.

I agree with you that it is no big deal, nor is it news. As far as running their message, yes they should be able to run it....regardless if it is hateful or not....their message is still protected under our First Amendment, whether people in the Gay community agree with it or not.

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2010 at 08:12 PM ----------

It's called "The Great American Double Standard"...and it is also called "Washington Politics". Neither are new...for either side.

Why is this such a shock for people?

And yes...in the end, it is about free speech. Which is why I opposed the McCain-Fiengold Act in the first place. Sure, some idiots can get on TV and talk nonsense...but they still have every singe right to do it...regardless if you like it or not.