1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Scout leadership post in NC for Mormon parents

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/7254607.html

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While the Mormon church is against homosexuality, this is still almost kind of stupid.

3. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, the BSA sees fit to be an equal opportunity discriminator. Anyone that they feel doesn't agree with them (atheists, Muslims, us, etc) gets barred from leadership. Of course you can serve in every role except leadership(or if you are a scout and don't fit with their code - well that gets you banned). But I guess what is surprising to me is that friends is that the temple in my home town had a scout troop. So I'm a little confused how there can be a Mormom sponsored troop but another one decides to bar leadership.

It may just boil down to prejudice by the local troop. A lot of people(LGBT and conservative christians a like) harbor bigotry towards those of the Mormon faith.

4. RedState

>>>A lot of people....harbor bigotry towards those of the Mormon faith

Sadly they do. That's the main reason why Mitt Romney did not win the Republican Presidential nomination.

I voted for him though.

5. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    >>>A lot of people....harbor bigotry towards those of the Mormon faith

It's true. I hate to admit it but I'm included. I can't really help it. The Mormon faith makes me nervous and I don't know why. I don't hate them or anything, it's just that even the mention of it makes me uncomfortable. I would never discriminate against anyone and I keep these kinds of things to myself and try to just get along, but the feelings are still there. I've never met a Mormon, I've never had a bad experience with Mormons, and I've never heard anything bad about Mormons that doesn't also apply to other christian faiths, so honestly, I do not understand where this comes from.

That said, forcing them to quit is just stupid. Scouts may center around churches, but the religion is not what's being taught there. As long as they are good people who live decent lives and can set a good example, it really shouldn't matter.

#5 Leon481, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  6. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My best friend in elementary school was Mormon. Throughout middle school I argued with him all the time, trying to convince of the 'absurdity' of his faith in attempt to convert him to 'real' Christianity....and in the end we just seemed to stop being best friends. At the time I didn't really understand it - I was so convinced I was doing God's will, being the beacon my church taught me to be that I was just clueless.

Only, when I came out and began to come to terms with my own experiences that I realized I was doing the same sort of thing to him that churches/Christians/family/etc do to me. So I have absolutely zero moral high ground on this subject.

And I can relate to being uncomfortable. . I wish it wasn't the case, but I just feel uncomfortable in churches, or large religious gatherings. Granted, my religious beliefs and spirituality no longer align with these groups but it disturbs me because it is a form of prejudice.

But I guess so goes the world. Its natural for us to be prejudiced. Only through concerted effort, time, and outside help can we slowly move beyond our prejudices and stereotypes IMHO.

7. Emberstone

there are aspects of the mormon faith that are distinctly anti-christian, including the belief that men can become gods of planets if they reach the highest level of heaven, and that black people and native americas have dark skin because they forsaken god and turned their back on him, but that doesnt make mormons bad people.

heck, alot of christians really dont have the right to call themselves followers of christ.

I have my issues with the behaviors of the mormon hierarchy, but this really is disgusting that they are being discriminated in such a way... expecially since the boy scouts of america practically are a mormon run group these days.