1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama tells bullied teens 'It Gets Better'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/22/3045994.htm?section=justin

2. Jay

Jay

Oh wow, Bravo!!!

3. lostinthought9

Hillary's was better. >_>

4. AlyssWonderland

Yaaayyyy! This makes me happy ^__^

5. mydogstewie

*reading something that was wrote for him with no emotion*

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2010 at 04:47 PM ----------

But it's a good thing he had the guts to do it!

6. Krissie

Wise words, he is right. It does get better. And being bullied during your teens often does make you more compassionate and tolerant as an adult. I don't think anybody out there deserves to feel hated for being gay, or for being different in some other way that they had no choice in. I hope as a society people will feel more comfortable being themselves as time goes on, and won't feel so ashamed of who they truly are anymore.

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2010 at 04:57 PM ----------

Yeah, he's a politician so you can't expect him to really have written his own words or to believe them, but the content itself is still valid. I think he is right in what he's saying. Bullying isn't something that we should just accept as a part of growing up. And it does get better.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've run into a lot of gay adults complaining about his video. A few went so far as to say "It took him long enough. Several kids committed suicide during those weeks, and I think their blood is on his hands." But then when I asked about THEIR IGB videos, they shrugged it off with "Oh, I didn't make one. I'm not good at that sort of thing. Besides, Obama reaches more people than I ever could."

The IGB project was supposed to be gay people who lived through this bullying. Who have emerged on the other side and can provide some solace by saying "I got through it, and I think you can, too." Obama didn't have to make a video. Nobody would've though worse of him for not doing one. (It was supposed to be for gays, anyway.) The fact that he did one at all is very encouraging. It doesn't make him not-a-politician, or give him a free pass on anything else. But it's good that he made one.

I'm just irked that all these adults don't feel THEY have to do anything more than bitch about how little everybody else is doing. Hey, sorry the cart isn't going fast enough for you, but how about getting out and pushing?

Lex

8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Gay teenagers have been taking their lives at a higher rate than non-gay teenagers for years. I almost took my life years ago.

All of this is too late, but better late than never.

But I like what you said Lex, I need to get out there and do something.

9. Holmes

I'd be critical of Obama, on this and other issues. But I think I agree very much with Lex here. This can't be seen as anything but a good thing.