1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Churches contribute to gay suicides, most Americans believe

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/21/churches-contribute-to-gay-suicides-most-americans-believe/

2. Emberstone

I think it is strange that evangelicals graded the church higher, when most of the violent rhetoric is coming from evengelicals. I rarely hear catholics saying we should give lgbt people the death penalty, but i hear it all the time from baptist and other evengelicals.

3. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If 2/3 beleive that the church's message are part of the reasons for gay suicides, and only 4/10 beleive the messages are negative, doesn't that imply that 8/30 (~27%) think that the messages are good AND contribute to gay suicides? Doesn't that mean that people either think that the church message is a positive message about gays and then causes a gay suicide (which makes no logical sense, why a message of it's okay = kill yourself) or the message is negative (but beleived to be correct thus polled as positive) and then caused a gay suicide (while making sense logically then says that the suicide was rightfully caused)?

4. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's good to know that so many churchgoers realize what harm their church's views are causing. It's the first step to change.

What's sad is that many of these religions think they are helping gay people by railing against them. They think they are saving their souls from hell when in reality they are driving so many to destruction instead.

5. ANightDude

Evangelicals? I live in south Texas and attended an Evangelical Lutheran Church, and I barely heard a negative word about homosexuality. One kid said he was "Happy California passed Prop 8", but the other kids there quickly told him it wasn't a good thing, as did some adults. Other than that, I just heard normal things about it. Hell, the church actually put them under a list of people who are wrongfully discriminated against.

6. RedState

I'm a Baptist...and a Southern Baptist at that...and come from a Southern Baptist family. I have never heard any Baptist (from the pulpit or otherwise) say that gays should be given the death penalty.

A bit dramatic don't you think?

7. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe somewhat overdramatic, but the fact is, even if the general congregations don't agree, there is a VERY vocal minority that tend to give a whole religion a bad name. For example, I've seen people on this site bash catholics as being very anti gay, but that study shows they are probably the most indifferent.

Public image (which is what I'm assuming he's basing this on) usually has little to do with the feeling of the masses, just the voices of the few in the spotlight. It doesn't help that officially, most christian denominations are against gays, even if they aren't actively discriminatory.

8. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Let's just say that coming from an LDS household in California during Prop 8 is very very difficult!! I nearly died every Sunday when the issue would come up--especially when nobody knows about my sexuality. It was (and still is) really hard to listen about how we should support homosexuals but not homosexuality--that is, you can be gay but not act on it. Why should I not be allowed to love and be loved?

This, unfortunately, is why many people feel suicide is often the only option.

9. RedState

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem (permanent meaning they don't have to deal with it anymore). It's sad that those who have done this in the past few weeks could not see that....and felt that they had no where else to turn.

Look, I deal and live in a world that is not exactly gay friendly...but I deal with it the best way I can. A song I heard one time simply said: "I keep on walking...until my time here is done"

I will say this tho....if any of you find me dead with a note saying it's suicide....have it investigated.

10. RedState

Annnnnd I just got done drinking with my Deacon at the Baptist Church (he loses just as much money at the dog tracks as I do) and he says that entire thought is...to use his words "Full of shit....what time to the liquor stores close?"

So...that is from a Deacon....

I did direct him to an "afterhours" liquor store I knew.

it seems the Deacons ran out of liquor while they were gambling at the church revival.

But Jesus did turn water into wine.....

11. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I think what the Gov should do is come in witha set of rules for churches such as you cant tell people this is wrong or you cant do this and that churches would have to be supporting of people's choices if they want to keep their 501C tax exempt status

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Churches have a right to say what they believe. No matter how hateful and bigoted. Eventually the church will be disassembled because people will not want to attend such bigotry.

But I think it's obvious that Churches contribute.

"God created you, and he loves everyone. Except you, fag."

I mean, that's not going to make gay people feel happy. :/ But luckily, most churches (at least around here) have begun to become more gay-friendly. I know of one Catholic church that has a rainbow flag in front. Even though I am Atheist, I volunteer there sometimes. :slight_smile:

Here is a picture of it:

[​IMG]

#12 Lady Gaga, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010